CarverGLX

Circuit Board Suppliers

I was still looking but thinking green... maybe not now. Some of those have like a $50 minimum and most i can't see a shipping charge until the order is placed. May wait or get a small batch off eBay before i take the plunge.

Thinking of using it as a spine on a round bait.... bagley balsa b1 b2 kinda thing. Use router with small bits (plastics bits) to cut places for hook hangers in g10 that is routed to the shape of the bait using a template. Drill bits follow these slots later and lock everything together when hook hangers are glued in. Use jig to cut g10 that will mark weight positions for internal weights and alignment pin positions. Drill out these marks. Use pins to align everything and reassemble with the circuit board in the middle of the sandwich so to speak. Have a lip slot cut already with the g10 vertically in the center of the lip slot to align with a slot cut in the bill made of lexan. Perfect alignment every time and a stronger bait. Wouldn't have to worry about grain of the wood direction..... could have excess g10 out the top to fit into a router jig to profile taper on the sides of the bait. Maybe overkill but thinking about it.

It's looking like it could end up expensive though. Especially using excess to be ground away on top for alignment.

Still might get some to make lips on baits where lexan is too heavy on the nose.... decisions

Edited by CarverGLX

If your looking to put a stiff spine in a balsa bait you might try laminating 2 pieces of balsa onto a piece of basswood. I've done this before so I could drill holes for hangers and line ties and still use twisted wire that could be glued in without fear of pulling out of the balsa itself. Not sure if the slight difference in weight between the basswood and balsa would be a concern to you, but the weight gain would be negligible.

Ben

The G-10 from McMaster-Carr is the cheapest I've seen.  The last I got from them several years ago was an ugly yellow color.  But if you're just using it for internal reinforcement... ?  Their G-7 was a nice light green color that's a good match for lake water - but it's more expensive.