foxbites

Putting Fur On A Rodent Lure?

I have tried a number of types of hide and fur . As of yet I have not found a way to use real hide that didn't creat an undesireable effect whether it was hair loss or the treatment prevented it from adhearing to the lure master when an adhesive is applied . I finally didn't want to spend any more time fooling with it . I have a short attention span .

Several types of fur are usable...Fly fisherman have been using fur on flies for decades....The easiest way to use fur is on the hide. Look at "Zonker Strips" at a fly shop.....They are cut from Rabbit, squirrel..etc. or you can buy whole hides of coon,Muskrat etc. and cut your own......Nathan

Those look great!  I bet they get slammed!

A-Mac,

This is a popular lure with the guys fishing the Ca. Delta..The baits pictured were customs... My standard colors are White ( with red eyes and tail ) or Dark Brown ( with Black eyes and tail)

Ben...I'm more than old enough to remember who "Alf" is.. Lol..and your right !!...Nathan

I've bought rabbit fur and then used 5 minute epoxy to apply it. Let it set up a couple of minutes first. Then clamp it on and let it dry. I had to precut the fur and then apply it in sections. Nathan's method is much cleaner looking than what I've done. I quit doing it because the fur caused the lure to lose a lot of action.

I don't think any one really answered his question...come on give up the ghost.....bro I would look at you tube for Taxidermy and rabbit flies are zonker strip lures.....I don't make would lures yet and one day I would love to make a rat with or without fur but sometime we get some tight lips around here