Curt - NC

Coolest Lure Contest Now Running!

Everyone,

We have launched our new "Coolest Lure Contest" as of a few minutes ago!

We have 5 different categories to compete in, including:

• Best Hard Bait (topwater, crankbait, jerkbait, etc.)
  • Best Wire bait (Buzzbait, Spinnerbait, Jig, etc.)
  • Best Soft Bait (worms, craws, soft swimbaits, etc.)
  • Best Fly
  • Best Custom Rod or Reel

The winners in each category will receive Lure Parts Online gift cards! Prizes will be as follows:

1st Prize - $100 LPO Gift card

2nd Prize - $60 LPO Gift card

3rd Prize - $40 LPO Gift card

Remember... these prizes will be given for EACH category, not just for the entire contest.

The contest will run from today (December 11) until a yet-to-be-determined date in early 2014.

Rules are posted on the contest page itself, and they are below, in this post, so please be sure to read through them before submitting a photo!

Let the contest begin!

You can enter your bait or view current entries here: Coolest Lure Contest

Contest Rules

1 - Photos must be of baits you created and/or painted yourself. You cannot submit photos of work that was done by someone else.

2 - You cannot submit photos of baits that were submitted in any previous contest here at Tackle Underground!

3 - TU members can submit only one photo to each category, but can enter as many different categories as they want.

4 - TU members will give each photo a rating, using the star system, located above each photo.

5 - At the end of the contest, the winners of each category will be chosen based on the three highest rated photos in their respective category.

When voting, please take the time to vote for all categories. We'd like to see voting numbers as equal as possible across all categories. It makes it more fun that way :)

Thanks!

Tackle Underground – How to Submit a Photo to The Lure Contest.pdf

• Like 3

Voting will be conducted using the star rating system in the gallery.

Users will "vote" on each entry using the stars above each image. At the end of the contest, the entries with the highest rating in each category will win.

The voting can begin immediately. Once an image is uploaded, it is eligible to be voted on.

Curt,

Question on entries. Can the entries be of spinnerbaits posted here before or on another site? These were not contest entries? I would like to submit my Chicago Bulls Spinnerbait I made.

You can definitely use a lure that has been posted previously, provided it wasn't entered in a previous contest here at TU.

Curt,

The reel in the attached photo is a Shimano Citica 201E which I rebuilt.  Here's what I did to it:

Replaced stock Dartanium drag washers with carbontex washers

Replaced stock 6:1 gears with 7:1 gears from Chronarch E

Replaced plastic brake case with metal brake case from Chronarch E (then polished the new brake race)

Replaced stock handle with 102mm Hawgtech swept carbon-fiber handle, w/ Shimano Power Grip II knobs (not stock knobs)

Replaced stock graphite drag star with aluminum star from Core 101MG

Replaced silver spool-tension knob with black knob from Chronarch E

Replaced crankshaft bushing with ball bearing

Drilled holes in thumb rest for weight savings and looks (mainly looks  :D)

Drilled holes in crankshaft for weight savings

Polished spool shaft ends

Polished key washer & anti-reverse ratchet surfaces for smoother drag (haven't polished the drive gear—it's brand-new and doesn't really need it)

Polished clutch bar for smoother clutch engagement and disengagement

Flushed and lubricated all internal bearings

Now, this is the problem:  I sent it to Calfish for the paint job, as I'm not set up for painting reels.  That's the only work done to it that I didn't do myself.  Does that disqualify it from being entered?

Thanks,

Ben

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

post-21896-0-17513100-1387262070_thumb.jpg

Curt,

The reel in the attached photo is a Shimano Citica 201E which I rebuilt.  Here's what I did to it:

Replaced stock Dartanium drag washers with carbontex washers

Replaced stock 6:1 gears with 7:1 gears from Chronarch E

Replaced plastic brake case with metal brake case from Chronarch E (then polished the new brake race)

Replaced stock handle with 102mm Hawgtech swept carbon-fiber handle, w/ Shimano Power Grip II knobs (not stock knobs)

Replaced stock graphite drag star with aluminum star from Core 101MG

Replaced silver spool-tension knob with black knob from Chronarch E

Replaced crankshaft bushing with ball bearing

Drilled holes in thumb rest for weight savings and looks (mainly looks  :D)

Drilled holes in crankshaft for weight savings

Polished spool shaft ends

Polished key washer & anti-reverse ratchet surfaces for smoother drag (haven't polished the drive gear—it's brand-new and doesn't really need it)

Polished clutch bar for smoother clutch engagement and disengagement

Flushed and lubricated all internal bearings

Now, this is the problem:  I sent it to Calfish for the paint job, as I'm not set up for painting reels.  That's the only work done to it that I didn't do myself.  Does that disqualify it from being entered?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately, despite all of the internal work you did yourself, contest entries are hard to judge based on stuff we can't see.

If you had also painted the reel yourself, I'd encourage you to enter it into the contest. Since you didn't do the paint work, though, you won't be able to do so.

I appreciate your honesty in being up front about not painting it yourself.

Maybe you can get set up to paint in the future and enter one of your reels into a future contest ;)

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately, despite all of the internal work you did yourself, contest entries are hard to judge based on stuff we can't see.

If you had also painted the reel yourself, I'd encourage you to enter it into the contest. Since you didn't do the paint work, though, you won't be able to do so.

I appreciate your honesty in being up front about not painting it yourself.

Maybe you can get set up to paint in the future and enter one of your reels into a future contest ;)

That's why I figured I'd better check first.  Oh well.

I'd like to paint my own reels sometime, only startup cost is a bit steep.  I've done it before, without the right paint, and while the initial result looked great it didn't last. Matter of fact it was the reel in my avatar.  Soft plastic baits melted the enamel topcoat and ruined the paint.  I know what I'd need to use, and it ain't cheap.

Good luck to all the entrants. :yay:  

• Like 1