Ernest

Ok. What Just Happened

My guess is you superheated your plastic this is a common factor with microwaves I did it with a cup of water for making tea, a buddy stopped by and we were yakkin it up and I forgot the water in the microwave well I opened it up and everything looked ok wasn't boiling so I went over to the counter and went and put a teaspoon of sugar in and it erupted on me so I looked it up on the web and found out what just took place. Don't recall the exact theory but I kinda remember something about bubble formation and the lack of it in a microwave but look it up you'll get a better understanding.

• Like 1

Thanks gone. I think that's what happened. I cut up what I had poured plus I had some left in the glass to reheat. Everything. Looked ok. I took it to where I was pouring a reached to get my glitter and that's when it happened. That's everyone. I will slow down when heating from hear on out. Thankfull I wasn't hurt.

Yep I have done too. When I first started. If your using a microwave if it has a 30 second button use it, until you get used to how it heats. I start with cold plastic and heat for one minute. the rest in 30 seconds and even then if I need just a little more heat I will do maybe 10 or 15 seconds and open the door. Oh don't put wood in there it will catch fire. Done that too. :flame:

I think everyone,including myself,has burned plastic in the microwave when starting out. Hopefully you have strong,outside exhaust to vent the dangerous fumes and smoke from burnt plastisol.Two onces will heat very quickly in a microwave.( as stated before) Reduce your temperature control on your microwave. by 50 %. Years ago,I unknowingly used a purple flake that had a metal base. Bad idea and we all find out the hard way. IT's best to add  new plastisol if you begin using remelts and runners.

The BAD news is that when PVC starts to burn it releases VERY toxic fumes in the form of chlorine (PVC is approximately 50% chlorine) and dioxin  which are very...very toxic. When the chlorine from burning PVC reaches your lungs (or eyes) it forms hydrochloric acid (as in the stuff they used to gas enemy troops in WW1 !!!!).

If PVC is burning you have a "toxic event" and you need to clear the area! This is also why you need to wear a Respirator when heating PVC...because if you goof up (and we all do !) and the stuff starts to smoke and burn.....YOU HAVE A TOXIC EVENT!

Burning PVC (like in carpet, toys, luggage, toys, packaging, siding on the house, wires,  etc. etc) is one of the reasons why Firemen wear oxygen masks!

Also, don't use it the same microwave as your food! And wear a respirator when heating PVC....because sooner or later...you screw up...and get it too hot!