fishon-son

Starting Out

I would like to start pouring my own baits. I put a lot of money into yamamoto and others every year...I look for the deals at stores to make it cheaper.but I find myself wanting to pour my own baits...id like to start with injecting instead of hand pour.....looking for help.....molds id like to buy would be a yamamoto flappin hog  knock off and senkos, worm molds..im looking for all the help I can get....

That there is a loaded question, to be honest the best plastic is the one you find works best with your methods I will give some of the feedback I've read and have experienced.

Lurecraft is a good plastic in the finished product I had 5 gallons of medium and I liked it a lot the one drawback was it hard packed quite quickly, hardpacking is when the solids fall out of suspension and becoming a hard layer on the bottom of the bucket it can and does reincorporate but its a pain, with all respect I would call Kim and ask if that has been resolved as this was a few years ago and maybe the formula has changed.

Calhoun has a smoke problem when heated its a fine line between bringing the plastic up to the right temp and smoking it also has an oily finish which some liked some don't.

Chemionics I currently have 5 gallons of supersoft its good overall but I'm having a micro bubble issue, could that be atmospheric its possible and its not the end of the world the finished product is nice.

Do-It has been having a yellowing problem and the price point is a little high for me but again contact Jerry to see if it's been reformulated and or corrected I know their aware of the problem.

Ispikeit/lureworks by far has the most options the price point is good they are very friendly when contacted about product and did I mention the price point is good. The thing is I can't give you my personal experience as I've yet to try it, it's next on the list.

• Like 1

I would err on the side of a larger injector and here's why you think today you'll only shoot a few but trust me before you know it you'll have several molds to shoot at one time and nothing is more annoying than running out of plastic in your injector before that last mold is filled I personally have the medium from Basstackle. And yes Caney Creek is now Do-It and Jerry would be your contact person.

A presto pot is an electric cook pot that has a relatively accurate temperature control and is used for cooking up larger batches of plastic at a time I suggest you stay with  micro until your mold collection and production needs increase as the pot is not good for smaller batches and most including myself would tell you that you need a stirring system with it.

As far Del is concerned I didn't recommend his site because I've spoken with a load of people including myself who have issues with getting molds in a timely fashion you order today and wait tomorrow and the next day and next week, month then months nuf said on that subject. Will say though that from what I'm hearing that if you order from Kim at lurecraft you get Dels molds in a time frame comparable to others.

Yeah they carry inventory but these mold makes for the most part lest a few are mom and pop operations so it can take some time with some orders. It can be safe in the house but you do need to make it that way, ventilation is paramount before anything else if you cannot provide proper ventilation then I would say no and the garage is were you'll be setting up. A hood system is preferred by most do a search there are some very good tips and pictures of others setups and work stations to give you and idea what needs to be done.

do  all molds have the same injector tip or size? ..just got off the basstackle site and wow do they have a lot..but I like a few different molds

from bear and lurecraft.  or is it best to stay with one company?   I really like what basstackle has to offer..is there plastic good to..i'd like to just make a one shop order to save on the shipping alittle bit.

Sorry bud didn't mean to leave you out your kinda new on the scene and I didn't want to make a recommendation based on unknown sources. your a site sponsor so feel free to sell your product through this thread I'm good with it.

I don't want to sell or pimp anything, I always read how lureworks is the cheapest, Yet if you factor there shipping cost, I come in even less sometimes. I am actually no longer a site sponsor either.

Ill add more, regardless of what any manufacturer claims, it is not smoke free. You should not shoot in the house, Proper ventilation is a must. Study up on reviews of each brand of plastisol. IMO most expensive is least likely the best on the market. And agreeing to Gon2Long, one stop shop sells yourself short 99% of the time.

http://www.shopbaitjunkys.com/Liquid-Plastisol_c_7.html

Baitjunkys has really good customer service.  They sell Calhoun's plastic.  That's what I use.  Some like it some don't, but the price is right.

I've ordered plastic from Bear's before as well.  I think it was Chemtronics but I'm not certain.  It was a good plastic too, but the price and shipping was higher and slower. 

The molds at Bait Junkies are from  High Rock Molds.  I talked to the owner f High Rock a few months back(local NC guy and real nice), and was left with the impression he carves molds as a side business, so it may be better to buy stocked items from Bait Junky's if you see something you like. 

I always use paypal to pay for internet transactions, and with Bait Junkies I've always received the plastic before the money ever clears through my bank account.  Super fast shipping.  I'm pretty satisfied.

I have molds from Del's, Bear's, Basstackle, K Molds, and lure craft.  I want the fluke mold from High Rock and a couple from Caney Creek.

As far as in-home injecting, be careful.  I was working on some swim baits this week in the house, and the ventilation wasn't enough to keep the fumes out of my nose.  I currently have stopped up sinuses, a head ache and a sore throat.  It's been two days since I poured and the symptoms are going away, but they still linger a bit.  In my shop, I just use a fan and open both garage bay doors...that seems to work.

Be sure to order heat stabilizer with your first order and get a good thermometer.  Shoot for about 325-340 degrees.

thanks for all the help..if there is anyone who can add more please do so..i have another question...hand pouring molds,,, where do you find the silicone to mix up for the mold it self......I see its a two part base..

Some guys swear by making their own molds out of silicone, and hats off to those who can.  Many (myself included) would just rather buy the hand-pour molds from a place like Lure Craft.  They have pretty much any mold needed, and they're constantly adding new ones.  Personally, I didn't have the time and patience to deal with the RTV mixtures, and you really don't save much money anyway.

Just my :twocents:

Most everyone here buys products from a bunch of different suppliers based on what they like or what they're looking for.  I have molds, colorants and flakes from several different companies and I have been pretty satisfied with nearly all of them.  You can also look in the classifieds section of the forum as members here are constantly buying and selling stuff they no longer use.  Welcome to the forum by the way, we're glad to have you and happy to help!

Most everyone here buys products from a bunch of different suppliers based on what they like or what they're looking for.  I have molds, colorants and flakes from several different companies and I have been pretty satisfied with nearly all of them.  You can also look in the classifieds section of the forum as members here are constantly buying and selling stuff they no longer use.  Welcome to the forum by the way, we're glad to have you and happy to help!

Very good point.  Each distributor, be it plastic, color, glitter, molds, etc., is entirely different.  I think I purchased from about 7 different suppliers on a regular basis.