fishon-son

Starting Out

thanks bassinfool  , im really happy I found this site.. im sure ill fit right in..im a bassing fool that just loves to fish on my off time..the info here is all just great stuff im glad and thankful for all the help...most days people will throw you under the bus..im a person that helps all and just enjoys life..any more help ill gladly take.....

havent read all these replies, but heres my input.

buy 5 gallons from bait junkys, if you want to make senkos. you'll need to get softener with it.

get a 4oz injector from bait junkys as well, you can get their bigger one but the 4oz is a great injector.

for molds, find some used ones on the forums / classifieds / ebay. or wait for basstackle to have a sale.

welcome to the addiction, you will one day laugh at yourself for thinking it'll save you money!

I am new to this as well but here is my very limited take. The first mold was hand made from body filler for trick worms. This worked good but as stated above not very economical for every mold you want. I then purched 7 silicone molds from lurecraft and have been very pleased. As far as plastic I have only used medium lurecraft and some medium from bears. I loved the lurecraft. Very easy to work with. I tried to go a cheaper routed with a gallon from bears and have been disappointed. No matter if I stir or shake I end up with a ridiculous amount of micro bubbles. I don't mind on the darker colors but hate it on light colors. I am about to or some injection molds. As stated before this is very addictive. Good luck to ya.

• Like 1

We actually do not sell High Rock any longer, All sales are done directly thru him. Lureparts online now sells Lsbaits molds, be sure to look there, For the largest selection and the best quality in one place, Bass Tackle is pretty much the top dog. High rock has nice molds, selection is very limited. Do it also sells molds, but after one wrong move with the el cheapo hinge, it really mucks up the mold for life. Bears also has a huge selection. Lots of used molds on all of the forums right now, this si the time of yr people buy/sell and trade.

I am new to this as well but here is my very limited take. The first mold was hand made from body filler for trick worms. This worked good but as stated above not very economical for every mold you want. I then purched 7 silicone molds from lurecraft and have been very pleased. As far as plastic I have only used medium lurecraft and some medium from bears. I loved the lurecraft. Very easy to work with. I tried to go a cheaper routed with a gallon from bears and have been disappointed. No matter if I stir or shake I end up with a ridiculous amount of micro bubbles. I don't mind on the darker colors but hate it on light colors. I am about to or some injection molds. As stated before this is very addictive. Good luck to ya.

It is a common problem with the bubbles right now. We ourselves degass every gallon, But it never seems to get them all. Heat your plastic and let it set for a few minutes, then bring it back to temp and you should be good to go.

Your plastic isn't the only one having the micro bubble issue right now, Junky.  The last order of medium/soft pourasol I ordered from Lureworks has a micro bubble issue but doing what you described above more or less fixes it and if I'm making the lures for my own personal use I don't mind if there is a bubble or two here or there as long as it doesn't look like the lure has pot marks all over it I'll fish it!  Otherwise, you can always remelt and try again.  I'll look into your plastic soon, Junky, but with me back in school and working at the hospital as well my fishing time not to mention my lure making time is looking like it may be pretty limited this year unfortunately.

I had a thought of taking a small hand vacuum pump, one you buy at autozone, Making a plate to fit the top of the pyrex with a good seal. You could pull a small vacuum on top of the hot plastic, you would suck the bubbles out rather quickly i believe, when its hot its super easy, There is one guy on this forum setting the hot Pyrex in a degasser, and they disappear instantly. But a deagasser is rather expensive.