capt mike

Line Thru Insert Turning Green With Corrosion

I have been using line thru inserts that I ordered online for pouring my soft swimbaits.  After a few months, they begin to corrode inside and change the plastic to a green color.

My store bought Osprey Talons have a similar insert inside, but that does not occur.  What in the world is going on here?  Am I missing something?

With LEAD You are going to get the corrosion .  As TF said coat them with Epoxy or Powder Paint

I am not fimiliar with what Aluminum will do over a course of time. With Molds you are not letting the Plastilsol COAT or Sit

for any length of time   ... I have cast Aluminmu Molds from back in the 60's and the only ones that have any corrosin are those that got wet accidently in storage.

In regards to Nail Polish  .. unless it has been changed  .... WILL react with the plastisol  .. the Nail polish reacts as the same with Lacquer.

Hope that helps

:?

Edited by JSC

With LEAD You are going to get the corrosion .  As TF said coat them with Epoxy or Powder Paint

I am not fimiliar with what Aluminum will do over a course of time. With Molds you are not letting the Plastilsol COAT or Sit

for any length of time   ... I have cast Aluminmu Molds from back in the 60's and the only ones that have any corrosin are those that got wet accidently in storage.

In regards to Nail Polish  .. unless it has been changed  .... WILL react with the plastisol  .. the Nail polish reacts as the same with Lacquer.

Hope that helps

:?

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll stick to a top coat, and see how that works.

The ones I have seen have a stingy coat of chrome over brass.  If the chrome plate was better the inserts would be better.  Alternatively have a shop make a couple thousand of them out of 303 stainless on a CNC lathe.  I make poured lead ones for my own use now.  I don't leave them in the bait long though usually.  I make them up a few days before I plan to use them, and they get tore up.  As soon as I finish the CNC conversion on my mini lathe I plan to change over to stainless, so I can make them up further in advance and keep them in my boat.  I had planned to experiment with coatings, but never got around to it.    Aluminum is easy to cut, and doesn't react (much) with the plastic, but its also pretty light when compared to steel or brass.  You could have aluminum ones made pretty cheap.  Stainless ones cost a litlte more partly due to material cost, and partly because stainless is a bit of a pain to machine.  Notice I specifcally said 303?  That's because its one of the "easier" to machine stainless alloys.  There are some other alloys that machine ok too, but... if you have some made let your shop decide which stainless alloy they like for it.  It will be the one they will give you the best quote on. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

Well, I designed the mold for one of the popular west coast line throughs and they had some very specific weight requirements.  One required 3/8 ounces, and another required 1/2 oz.  In order to get what they wanted in a compact size they went with coated lead.  I never asked what they coated it with.  I did their lead molds too. 

Like I said, for my own I use lead, but I make them up a few days before (sometimes the night before) I plan to use them.  I plan to make stainless inserts shortly so I can keep baits in my boat for extended periods.  I've found an alloy that turns well.  Seems to turn better than generic 303.  If it drills well on the lathe making a couple hundred of them for my own use will be the breakin project for the newly converted cnc lathe.  I just need to get a bigger t-slot table to make the cross slide for the saddle to acomodate my gang tooling. 

On the flip side, I can see using just enough ballast to keep them upright for waking them, but big fat swimbaits surface so easily anyway that its kind of a moot point. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

Capt Mike, LureWorks makes a special coating for this purpose. So you can use your same inserts without any adverse effects. Also, this coating will make the plastic adhere to the insert. With this material you should get very satisfing results. I can't remember the name of it right off just call Bruce at ext. 106, tell him what you need, and he will fix you right up. You may have to leave him a message but he will call you back. Their number is 912-225-4533. This should take care of your problem.

How are you going to get enough weight with that? 

I will make it big enough (not too big) to add the weight I need.  And, like baitjunky said, I can always add lead to the resin pour which will lock the lead in and not react with the plastisol.  I like a slow sinker that works like the Osprey Talon.  Im using fairly small inserts from Basstackle in a 5oz platic swimbait.  It barely gets the baits to swim straight.  Too fast and it goes sideways.  But it's slow enough to fish deep.

My only question is, will the resin react with the plastisol.

Carolina Mike, thanks for that info.  I will definitely look into that  coating.