MazyBaits

Bluegill Color

I have two different blue gill colors I make, one light and one dark, the dark being mostly used for swim baits.

The light color is 1/2 cup plastic with 1 or 2 drops black and 2 drops of green pumpkin to give it a greenish hue and then you load it up with whatever flake you like. I usually use a lot of .035 and .008 blue flake, a dash of black flake, a dash of orange and a dash of chartreuse.

The dark color I use for swim baits is a laminate that I pour which is a dark green pumpkin on top or the back of the swim bait that is loaded with .015 black flake and .008 blue flake with a fair amount of .035 blue flake added in as well. The bottom is a lighter shade of green pumpkin with orange, gold, and a little chartreuse flake but I go pretty light with the flake on the bottom or it gets too overpowering. I've even poured the bottom color just at the throat of the bait and then injected the rest but that is a little bit more tedious and time consuming so I tend to just inject the entire thing.

what they said.  Smoke color with a little GP thrown in and the flake of your choice.  I would add a little orange spike-it pen along the bottom of your bait after it's threaded on the hook.

I don't put as much stock in color as many anglers do though. 

I will do this though;

picture001uc.jpg

I just like the look.  I guess I'm as guilty as the rest in my own way.  I can live with it

Such great feed back! I am very glad I found this forum. I was a mold maker for over ten years. So far I have only been able to make a frog mold and a tube mold. I am in the process of designing a few more lures. Right now they are only in CAD form. I am hoping to actually machine the molds soon but, I do not have the complete access to machinery like I used to. I really want to get them done before Spring and try these colors out that you all have so kindly shared. Thank you all again for the help.

This is probably going to bring a bunch of different comments, but I was the originator of the bluegill color. It originated with a company that I produce for in Texas and the original base color is not smoke, the knock-off guys trying to copy it used the smoke color. I really can't tell you the base color but I will say that there are five different colors of flake involved, Some .025 and some .035. To see the original color go to hagstornadobaits.com. This was the original bluegill color of this type. It does take a whole lot of flake, the light reflecting between the different colors is what makes the plastic look smoke.

This is probably going to bring a bunch of different comments, but I was the originator of the bluegill color. It originated with a company that I produce for in Texas and the original base color is not smoke, the knock-off guys trying to copy it used the smoke color. I really can't tell you the base color but I will say that there are five different colors of flake involved, Some .025 and some .035. To see the original color go to hagstornadobaits.com. This was the original bluegill color of this type. It does take a whole lot of flake, the light reflecting between the different colors is what makes the plastic look smoke.

Far from smoke, I can even see that in the pic. Going to have to get a bag to see what it is LOL. 

I have never seen that bait before, but I made my own bluegill color that is very similar to that one. I was never a big fan of the smoke based bluegill colors, always thought they should be more green based. Very cool.

I have never seen that bait before, but I made my own bluegill color that is very similar to that one. I was never a big fan of the smoke based bluegill colors, always thought they should be more green based. Very cool.

I agree.  Every bluegill I've ever caught or seen has a basic green-green pumpkin color, with darker bars and turquoise blue gills.  

I think green pumpkin, blue and orange flake, with a chartreuse tip is as close as you can get.

• Like 1

I believe it is hagstornadobait.com  not baits plural.

And it worked.  Can't believe I didn't think of that.  Nevermind...........yes I can.  I'm not getting any younger, and I'm obviously not getting any smarter.   LOL

Nice bluegill pic.  There really IS a ton of flake in there!  

Looks like a real fishcatcher.  :yay: