Adam Lang

Soft Plastic Paint Question

Hey fellas, I'm new to making soft plastics. I got some stuff a few weeks ago and have been messing around a little making small batches of soft plastics.  All told I've got about 3-4 hours worth of experience so obviously still very green to it all.

I've read through the "Do's and Don'ts Sticky" and been reading on site as well...and can't really find any conclusive answers to my question:

What type of paint is used in colorant, and can it be bought at a local craft store? I've tried water based...bad idea. I know not to use acrylic, so I tried some other kind I found on a back shelf with a high heat tolerance and it worked pretty well, it just took a few rounds of heating to mix completely.

Second question, what is soft plastic glitter made of? I assume it's something with a high heat tolerance because some other stuff the wife had laying around the house doesn't seem to hold up after more than 2-3 rounds of reheating plastic.

If asking these types of questions is against the policy of the site [due to site sponsors] I apologize.

The colorant used in soft plastics is usually proprietary to that manufacturer but if I remember correctly they are DINP based, but as a quick fix crayons, oil based pastels and some dry type laundry dyes can work in a pinch but It appears you already know that water based is a bad idea. The glitter is high heat polyester.

Hey fellas, I'm new to making soft plastics. I got some stuff a few weeks ago and have been messing around a little making small batches of soft plastics.  All told I've got about 3-4 hours worth of experience so obviously still very green to it all.

I've read through the "Do's and Don'ts Sticky" and been reading on site as well...and can't really find any conclusive answers to my question:

What type of paint is used in colorant, and can it be bought at a local craft store? I've tried water based...bad idea. I know not to use acrylic, so I tried some other kind I found on a back shelf with a high heat tolerance and it worked pretty well, it just took a few rounds of heating to mix completely.

Second question, what is soft plastic glitter made of? I assume it's something with a high heat tolerance because some other stuff the wife had laying around the house doesn't seem to hold up after more than 2-3 rounds of reheating plastic.

If asking these types of questions is against the policy of the site [due to site sponsors] I apologize.

Bruce McElroy Spike-it

plastisol  912-225-4533     # 106

Use your wife's eye shadow for colorant . It does have a mica base suitable for coloring plastic or clear powder paint . Beware the advice of the toad . I am well known for creating angry wive"s" . LOL

:drool:

Eye shadow is one I had not heard.  Crayons are the first colorant I ever used in plastic.  I had heard that candle makers pigment is good as well, but a tiny bit can color gallons of plastic. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

Yeah there's not much of a science to it pre-melting is good or just shaving them thin with a knife will get the job done, like anything else when it come to melting usually the smaller the pieces the faster they melt and incorporate you don't want to be stirring for 20 minutes trying to get the chunks mixed in.

And I might add that you need to be really accurate with your measuring when working with these materials it's very frustrating to achieve a color you like and then realize that you don't know how much you put in to get there so take copious amounts of notes and measurements.

Edited by Gon2long