archeryrob

Frogs

Looking for some info on making frogs. Snakeheads will be feeding starting in April. I know I can make 1 1/2" to 2" round poppers with a weedless 3/0 dressed hook, I want to make something better.

I am looking for pics of fancier stuff to make. Can you all throw out idea from stuff you did?

Hey Rob ........ I'm Memory Maker from the Snaggedline site.  I will be pouring a bunch of frogs this winter ........ I also bought out the Lateral perch heads and bodies and I will be pouring the Yamamoto swim jig heads for some snake/worm/shad lures.  As you know ....... the pads and weeds are thick later on in the year where the snake heads are found.  I'm available if you want to pour sometime.

I'm with you Rob. I just traced out a Koppers 65 and I'm going to attempt to copy the basic shape using poplar. I'm thinking about attaching a 4/0 frog hook to the top/back and putting on fiber weed guards. I figure I'll add weight in the back so when stopped the hooks will be at the right angle for a positive hook set. Not sure if I'm going to have a popper front end or not. Paint will be basic Leopard frog.

If you can find a small non-rusting spring to put between the hook shank and the body, you could make slots for the double hooks in the back of the frog, like a soft frog, and the spring would keep them hidden/weedless until it gets bit.

Or maybe two small magnets in the hook slots to hold the points until it's bit.

These springs look like they might work:

http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/29622-stainless-steel-compression-springs-319-8037.html

Edited by mark poulson

If you can, picture a soft frog shape in a hard bait, with a double frog hook hung from the bottom so the hook tines can lay down onto the back of the lure, but with enough play that the hook shank can swing up against the belly when it's compressed on the bite, so the hook points rise up and can engage the fish's mouth.

I haven't tried it yet, but either the spring between the hook shank and the belly, or the magnets at the hook seats in the back, should keep the bait weedless until the bass bites down on it and pops the hook points up into it's mouth.

In theory.... Hahaha

I think it's worth a try, anyway.

Edited by mark poulson

I got ya now. hmmm. I think it would be good if the hooks could slide backwads as well so the hooks could get "free" from the body of the bait. Now we're getting complicated I know bass often inhale their prey so I wonder if there would be enough pressure to compress the spring? I like the magnet idea but then the back of the bait would need to be "skinny" so when the hooks came free there would be enough gap for a good hook set.

I am fairly new to this site, as well as to making lures. But I was thinking about making the same type of thing, and the lure is still in the prototype stage, but what I did was use a larger frog hook and cut a slot in the bottom for the hook to set in to allow clearance from the back of the bait, as well as having it set a little farther back in the body, so it extends out the back if that makes any sense. Again I haven't finished my plan, I am trying to find a good way to hold the hook in place besides just epoxy, but I may drill a hole for a small wiring harness/through-wire setup. If this doesn't help I can try and post pictures later to help show what I am talking about. 

I am fairly new to this site, as well as to making lures. But I was thinking about making the same type of thing, and the lure is still in the prototype stage, but what I did was use a larger frog hook and cut a slot in the bottom for the hook to set in to allow clearance from the back of the bait, as well as having it set a little farther back in the body, so it extends out the back if that makes any sense. Again I haven't finished my plan, I am trying to find a good way to hold the hook in place besides just epoxy, but I may drill a hole for a small wiring harness/through-wire setup. If this doesn't help I can try and post pictures later to help show what I am talking about. 

I look forward to hearing/seeing your progress.

Having a weedless hard bait that you can throw into grass like a hollow body frog would be the cat's meow.

Ive made frogs shaped like a hollow body frog, with a pair of hooks set in the body just like a hollow body, and gave it a mouth like a popper.  I had to set the hooks back some from the rear though, because if theyre directly over the body you will have trouble hooking up.  I also fixed screw locks to the sides 2/3 of the way back to accept small ribbon tail grubs for some leg motion.  The hardest part was finding the right weight and then setting it in the sweet spot so it sits in the water how I like.  too much weight sinks it, not enough weight, or out of the sweet spot, and it flips upside down.  I got them down well enough that theyre a regular production item now, and I have 2 sizes...a 1.5inch and a 2.5 inch for those big Okeechobee type fish lol.

Hey Memory Maker, I don't want to pour right now. I have thought of it, but I am really stuck on making hard baits.

I had thought of just small poppers and I have the hook idea set. I take 3/0 hooks and tye 60 pound coated leader tto the shank, through the eye and it rises the hook off the weeds, but still hooks the fish.

Hey Memory Maker, I don't want to pour right now. I have thought of it, but I am really stuck on making hard baits.

I had thought of just small poppers and I have the hook idea set. I take 3/0 hooks and tye 60 pound coated leader tto the shank, through the eye and it rises the hook off the weeds, but still hooks the fish.

Not a problem guy ........... have a lathe and rotary tool too.  Would love to see the lure some time ......... planning to fish the Snakeheads this year ......... they are such a goooood eating fish.

Not a problem guy ........... have a lathe and rotary tool too.  Would love to see the lure some time ......... planning to fish the Snakeheads this year ......... they are such a goooood eating fish.

Its funny, me and my kids think they are a bit plain and perfer white perch over them. Its a fish for non-fisheaters It is just nice having the big fillets.

Hey Jmarsh, I cut out a groove like you did using a dremel, ran a wire through the bait and wrapped it through the frog hook eye and epoxied the whole mess. Seems pretty secure to me. I did think about putting a screw w/ a washer down through the hook eye but I didn't have much room. I did position the frog hook so it angled up a bit so when the frog sits butt down in the water, the hook would be in a good position for hooking up.

Edited by FrogAddict

FrogAddict, my lure is very similar to yours in its construction. I think wiring the hook eye to the tow point is almost essential with the kind of leverage and stress you will be putting on that hook. I am also thinking about getting some skirt material to make some kind of plug to insert on the rear of the lure just like JuneBug was talking about. Instead of cupping mine for the popper action, I made mine very sloped at the front like a lot of the soft frogs are so I hope that will give me some good action. I was going to try and attach a photo or two of mine but I haven't quite figured out how to on this setup yet, but I will keep trying. Unfortunately, being a college student, I don't get as much tinker time with these lures as I would like to but it will get finished sometime or another. 

I tried a bait with a flip up hook based on a Sebile lure I saw a couple of years ago. I used the groove in the tail idea mentioned above and the hook has a bend in the shaft that holds it in alignment. There is a pin epoxied in to hold the hook from pivoting too far down. The hook seems to be weedless but the deep diving bib I put on this one catches ALL of the weeds. I think if it were made into a top water system it would work pretty well. With a frog body there would be plenty of space to add two hooks. 

There is a picture of it in my gallery. Forgive the no paint skills on this one. It was the early days.

Jmarsh,

Here's my concern with this style, is there enough room between the body of the lure and the hook points for a good hook up? I went to the 4/0 hook size and moved it to the top of the lure in my latest version so I would have maximum clearance. I don't have any idea if it'll work but that's half the fun! Nice carving by the way!

I tried a bait with a flip up hook based on a Sebile lure I saw a couple of years ago. I used the groove in the tail idea mentioned above and the hook has a bend in the shaft that holds it in alignment. There is a pin epoxied in to hold the hook from pivoting too far down. The hook seems to be weedless but the deep diving bib I put on this one catches ALL of the weeds. I think if it were made into a top water system it would work pretty well. With a frog body there would be plenty of space to add two hooks. 

There is a picture of it in my gallery. Forgive the no paint skills on this one. It was the early days.

I also posted a Sebile-like single hook deep diving crank in the gallery.  I never had it catch weeds with it's bill.  I also never had it get bitten!  :(  Hahaha

Yeah I am worried about the same thing FrogAddict. I am kind of hoping that by angling the tow point level with the body or even upwards a little, it will give enough leverage on the lure that one of the points will get a solid set. But like you said finding out if it works is half the fun. Thanks for the compliment as well, I have been carving long before I started making lures, so I decided to try and make one a little more detailed than your normal crankbait that I have been making. 

I 'be played around with this on and off for a few years...but if you google Tube flies .. Then google tube fly supplies you'll get the just of where I'm going with this design.Excuse the poor sketch but it will give you a good Idea of what I 'm talking about.You feed the line through the tubbing out the back..tie on the hook then the hook is anchored to the stiff tubing with soft aquirum tubing...

You will need to weight the bottom of the bait considerably so it turns over in the air and lands correctly.A nice thing about this design is when you hook the fish the bait slides up you line and away from the hook..also.. If you snag..just brake off the hook.. Retrieve your lure and re - tie with a new hook...Nathan

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-11288-0-76518000-1389288404_thumb.jpg