archeryrob

Frogs

It's basically just an oddly shaped wake bait. It wobbles like a crank, but doesn't really dive. At a moderate retrieve, it gets just inches below the surface, and leaves a cool wake on top. The bill also acts like "brakes" when you twitch it. It will walk and splash, without actually moving very far. It helps keep you in your target area longer. It looks very promising in testing, but I haven't actually fished with it. It's not one of my normal offerings. A friend asked my to try and design one for him.

Nice, I'm just getting into crank baits and I really don't know yet what the different angles will do to the lure. My step daughter bought me this stamp deal that turns any old gift card/motel card etc.  into a guitar pick. It looks like a stapler kind of. Anyway, I got the idea of trying to use a couple of those "picks" glued together (stacked) as a lip and it worked in the bathtub on a crank body I carved. I know I can use Lexan and all. Anyway, I think I may try the straight down lip like that on one of my glider type lures.

Edited by FrogAddict

New frog idea update.

I've changed the design a bit and started the build last night briefly. So far the design looks promising. My wife has got me spending my free time tiling a back splash but I should be able to finish the initial prototype and test this weekend. I switched to using all PVC so I can test without sealing.

Here is what I call my topless frog...no matter how it lands..it's right..Free swinging Owner hooks are weedless in the grub tails..It can be used as a buzz frog or walk the dog with it..Can't wait for the weather to warm !!!..Nathan

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-11288-0-84016700-1393814979_thumb.jpg

post-11288-0-51305500-1393815008_thumb.jpg

post-11288-0-63693300-1393815036_thumb.jpg

Nathan, 

Thanks for rekindling this thread. I like the idea of a topless frog. Did you weight the body at all? if so how did you go about doing that without affecting the action when "upside down". Great idea though, I will have to give this a go!

Here's my latest. It's a weedless floating buzz. It's rather large. The body is almost 4 inches long not including the prop and hooks. The diameter at it's largest point is slightly more than an inch. Overall length is about 7 inches. It's made out of PVC.This is attempt number 3. The other 2 didn't have enough buoyancy to keep all the hardware afloat so I went a bit larger than I probably needed to make sure it floated. There's a large weed island that I need to cover this year and the ability to stop this on a dime will drive em nuts (I hope).

Another note, this is the first time I've ever used the airbrush to paint the spots. I typically brush them on with acrylic.Now that I have my airbrush dialed in, I have more confidence doing this type of detailed work.

Nathan, I like your idea! It should work wonderfully. I employed the same hook set up on several frogs.

weedless frog buzz.JPG

weedless frog buzz.JPG

weedless frog buzz.JPG

weedless frog buzz.JPG

weedless frog buzz.JPG

weedless frog buzz.JPG

weedless frog buzz.JPG

weedless frog buzz.JPG

post-45642-0-23643900-1393855704_thumb.jpg

Edited by FrogAddict

Thanks Ben,

I 've played around with Frogs on and off for years but would get frustrated with getting them to land correctly with weighting..etc..Then this topic came up and got me thinking ( easier said than done these days!!) and it hit me...Fish only see the bottom of frogs on the surface..just put two bottoms on it!!!..problem solved...I think!!...It's -1 right now ...I'll have to get back to you on hook up ratio..etc..lol..Nathan