Steve Ramos

Plastisol Recommendation

MF,Spike-it,and Bait Junkies hold their respective clear color the longest-in that order. That said,You can over heat and burn(yellow) any plastisol by heating @ too high of a temp. for too long of a period w/o stirring.Learn to use the power setting on your microwave and stir between each increment. Based upon my experience try the following guidelines for 8 oz. of plastisol. These recomendations are only a guide- each microwave may differ

1-2 minutes-power setting 8

2- 1 mimute power setting 6

3- 1 minute power setting 4

Edited for content

Edited by smallmouthaholic

Thank you all for the good replies.  All information is welcome.  Assume I know nothing.  I do use a good digital thermometer way better than using the infrared deal I started out with.  Bottom and the top of the cup are very different temps :)  

I am curious to hear some of the weaknesses of certain plastic brands.  I would assume some are better than others depending on what you are trying to accomplish?

It has been my experience that plastisols that retain their clear color w/ careful re-heats or use in a presto pot w/ stirror will retain true color renditions the longest w/ o fading. My personal , 2 exceptions to this-Smoke /purple/black flake is the worst turning a light blue under constant heat.in approxiametely 5 minutes once a medium consitency is ready for injecting..A  true Junebug ranks 2nd w/ a color change in approxiametely 8 minutes. There are colors I only heat from scratch in a presto pot w/ stirrors. Adding various or too much flake can cause color change.

Was wondering about Spike-It...

In any case Lurecraft plastic is a royal pain to remix and yellows after the first reheat. Not sure if M-F or Calhouns has improved in quality or price (which is why I'm considering Spike-It). Haven't used Bear's in a while but liked the samples he sent. There are a few glitter colors that will always stain clear plastic, especially after the first re-heat no matter who's plastic you use. I try to stay around 300 degrees or less.

Edited by Senkosam

Only my opinion. Used them all and I went right back to MF. Very clear and no settlement.

I'll second that one, although I never tried Bait Junky's and have heard many good things about it. 

As for MF, it is one of the pricier plastics, but like Dutchman said it's extremely clear and no hardener settling to the bottom (little to no mixing needed).  I can also add that it handles high heat very well, it has very little odor (kind of a sweet smell, but you get used to it), and it's by far the most consistent plastic I ever used. 

Just my :twocents:

Thanks to all that offered their opinions and comments.  I decided to order a sample from Baitjunky.  He sent one at the next morning and it arrive two days later.  Nice customer service!  I tried the plastisol today and I must say that it is really clear and easy to work with.  I think I am going to run with this brand for a gallon and see the results.  First impressions have been good.

You can always ask for plastisol recomendations and you will always get different answers. In my opinion, and note that this is just my opinion, all of the major plastisols are fine. They all have their own place in the market, even though you have ordered some plastisol, I would like to suggest that you call around to everyone and ask for samples and tell us what brand best suits your needs. LureWorks, MF, and LureCraft are all manufactored at their facilities, while Bear's, BaitJunky's, and Do-It's are redistributed products that are formulated to each company's specification. All are great plastisols. When it comes to plastisol its always about what suits YOUR needs, in other words, its always personal preference. So try them all and let us know what you like and why.

• Like 3