gone2long

If You Are Dipping Does It Matter?

Has anyone used say Wicked colors to paint their soft plastics before dipping? My shop is snowed in and cold so I don't pour in the winter so I'm not setup to experiment. If you're dipping in clear after painting will it work or is there some reaction that will take place, I just don't want to buy the new water based soft plastic paints if I already have what I need. As far as the solvent based paints can I just use the spray on clear top coat? how long will it last, I only pour for myself so I'm not worried about catching 30 fish on a single bait I would love to forgo the dipping if I could.

Smallmouth. Did you recently get on the spike it staff? Lmao

Leonard- NO I did not. I recommended Bruce since he is the manufacturer of both types of plastic paints and he will give honest,authorative  and prudent advice for using his paints. Sometimes there is incorrect information given out @ times here on TU.

BTW- I'm not on MF's staff either

• Like 1

Leonard- NO I did not. I recommended Bruce since he is the manufacturer of both types of plastic paints and he will give honest,authorative  and prudent advice for using his paints. Sometimes there is incorrect information given out @ times here on TU.

BTW- I'm not on MF's staff either

I just wanted to yank your chain a little, :)

No your air brush paint will not stick to the plastic. If you dip them after it will peel off like an orange. And if you stretch the bait it will fracture the paint. Spike it's water based paint went through a lot of testing before it was released. It does need to be dipped or clear coated with the solvent clear to seal it. If you dip it the dip coat will adhere well with the water based underneath. It acts like a bond coat. On solvent paints you don't have to clear as it will be very durable and last as long so the bait will. One tip on the solvent or water paints if you buy the clear and add powder pearls you can add a lot of colors to your collection without much cost. Frank

• Like 1

Thanks' Frank I think I'm leaning towards the solvent based as some of the baits I'm going to be painting are on the smaller side and dipping will affect their action. And perfect timing I just ordered some peal powder from a site that had a great deal on samples surely enough to make up 4ozs of paint for each of the 4 colors.

You can lean towards the solvent paint till you smell it. Unless you have away of getting the fumes out of your area water might be a better deal. Although you would still have to clear with the solvent. If you use the waterbased the use of a heat gun or hair drier will be an advantage. Light coats are way better and dry faster.

I have a paint booth that works great, I tested it on a rattle can and was happy with it's performance. I guess I'll call Bruce when I'm ready before I make a decision I still have time to darn cold to work in my shop with no heat. I do like the idea of water based just not the dipping part will have to dip some baits and see how it affects the action.

Rattle can has nothing on the solvent paint. It smell after you use it till it cures all the way. To each his own though. I use it and will continue. Maybe you are not understanding me on the water based but with it you can clear with solvent and it will be ok. This way you can use water based for color and clear them all at the end and leave the room till they cure.

No your air brush paint will not stick to the plastic. If you dip them after it will peel off like an orange. And if you stretch the bait it will fracture the paint. Spike it's water based paint went through a lot of testing before it was released. It does need to be dipped or clear coated with the solvent clear to seal it. If you dip it the dip coat will adhere well with the water based underneath. It acts like a bond coat. On solvent paints you don't have to clear as it will be very durable and last as long so the bait will. One tip on the solvent or water paints if you buy the clear and add powder pearls you can add a lot of colors to your collection without much cost. Frank

Frank-

Spike it's solvent plastic paint sticks like epoxy glue-one coat and done! I don't see the reality of using water base paint 1st ,then a solvent based clear coat. it sounds labor intensive and you're still using a solvent base product.I agree on the clearasol clear coat- takes forever in colder weather to dry and peels off easier then an orange. You will need an organic respirator and a spray booth w/ exhaust but i have that anyway

If you just paint the backs of baits then solvent is the way to go. But if you add a lot of detail then the time spent with solvent paint out is a lot. And any type of spray booth is good but the smell still lingers till it is cured all the way. It may sound like its time consuming cause it is. And you want to talk about an exhaust fan is your exhaust fan explosion proof? If not that is a problem if you use solvent based paint.

• Like 1

Frank- I'll answer your question w/o tap dancing the issue. My exhaust fan is not a certified ,explosion proof fan. That said, it is an induction fan w/ no sparking brushes and a completely sealed motor.Nothing that could create sparks can enter the grill leading to the fan blades.It has a variable rheostat that  contols the CFM's from 650 to 750.

I sprayed M.E.K. and solvent based paints for years w/ induction fans w/o a problem.There are no open flames of any sort in my shop or the open part of the garage and I do not smoke.

I just ordered the new spike it co lure02 paints for painting large swimbaits.  I did not order the solvent clear.  I guess i will need to, unless I dip an 8 inch bait in clear plastisol.  Don at Spike It told me that  some people are painting hard baits with the colure02 and clearing them with epoxy.  Says it looks really good.

I believe he said that the clear02 will suffice, as long as you keep the baits seperate from one another.  Good to know the powder hi lites will work in the clear.  Thats 2 more colors i can put together now.

I am glad you decided to try it. You are going to like it. Don is a real great guy and very helpfull. And yes any powder colorant you have can be a color. It does help to have some heat to dry in between coats and a hair drier is a great starter. dipping an 8" bait would be a challenge so solvent clear would be the ticket. 

I am looking forward to the swap I have been using the solvent paint for a while its great stuff but I am tired of the smell

the water based paint has little smell and that is a huge plus even with the longer dry times and it seems to coat just as good

I dip most of the lures I paint but even on the ones I don't dip I think I would rather spray with clear once than work with the solvent paint the whole time

I have sprayed enough of that solvent based paint to get half the country high and nothing helps much

yes I have a spray booth and yes I have a good respirator I use and its still bad if I just spray the paint in the booth you can watch the vent pull it up it works good but the smell remains

I cant wait to run out of the solvent paint

I called and talked to the people at spike-it and they said I could layer the solvent and water based paint so I am swapping as I run out

I am looking forward to the swap I have been using the solvent paint for a while its great stuff but I am tired of the smell

the water based paint has little smell and that is a huge plus even with the longer dry times and it seems to coat just as good

I dip most of the lures I paint but even on the ones I don't dip I think I would rather spray with clear once than work with the solvent paint the whole time

I have sprayed enough of that solvent based paint to get half the country high and nothing helps much

yes I have a spray booth and yes I have a good respirator I use and its still bad if I just spray the paint in the booth you can watch the vent pull it up it works good but the smell remains

I cant wait to run out of the solvent paint

I called and talked to the people at spike-it and they said I could layer the solvent and water based paint so I am swapping as I run out

You prove my point to the tee. The smell remains even with a booth. I was painting with Ken Huddleston at I cast and he had never used the water based. He though it was a big game changer. He could have one area just for solvent paint and a much more friendly area for the detail work. Even dotting say trout patterns would be more user friendly. He said the people that worked for him were going to love it. Frank

I line the sides ,back and bottom of my booth w/newspaper stapled to  h.d. cardboard forms that fit precisely.I remove the newspaper,put the carboard forms outside or in the garage . There is no smell remaining in my spray booth. i do use waterbase paint( no Createx for me) and epoxy from Component Systems for my wooden plugs,crankbaits,buzz-baits and spinner baits. I inject 3 color swim-baits and airbrush Spike-it ,solvent based plastic paint for the shaded top of the swim-bait. It dries in minutes,will not come of the bait and the baits have absolutely no solvent smell to them. I tried dipping- no thanks -takes for ever to dry and peels right off.

Ok so in your perfect world there is no smell from a product that smells to high heaven for everyone else. For anyone who has not tried it and would like to know what it smells like go to a store that sells PVC pipes and smell the cement for bonding the joints. That is the smell. But I can tell you have not tried the waterbased from Spikeit on soft plastic. It is the best bond coat there is for recoating plastic. You see if you put it on the bait it WILL make a bond and won't peel off. The trick is to clear the whole bait let it dry and dip. Also like I said before high lighting a back of a bait is a breeze but more detail is where the water shines.

Ok so in your perfect world there is no smell from a product that smells to high heaven for everyone else.

Frank- I responded to a poster who stated his booth stills smells after painting w/ solvent based paints. i politely detailed what i do before and after painting w/ solvent based paints ( to help others who may be interested) so my booth doesn't smell when i'm finished and you interject needless sarcasim. You tried to pick @ my ventilation exhaust system and recieved an education.Unfortunately, it seems apparent intelligence from others upsets you.Have a nice day.

edited for spelling

Edited by smallmouthaholic