Ccfish

Ventilation While Pouring Indoors.

Hello guys, new to the forum been reading through alot of old post and man this is a great site tons of information on here. Been pouring my own spinnerbaits and jigs now for about a year and want to try my hand at plastic. Did a little pouring as a kid with my dad and would like to get back into it. Got a question about ventilation when melting the plastic. Ive seen some guys have built their own vent systems and i was wondering how many cfm's to look for when buying the vent fan? And would a regular bathroom/kitchen vent work well enough or does it have to be something more industrial? Already have a good respirator just dont wanna smoke out the shop if i burn the plastic. Thanks

I know its expensive but im wondering if anyone is using a downdraft system yet?    I have limited head space above my pouring space the hood I have gets in my way and doesn't do a great job.     I think a downdraft would be right there to get the fumes.    I would just have to pipe the fumes back up and out. 

hummm...   

Speaking from experience with down draft units for kitchen cooktops only, they are very inefficient, because, in the case of gas cooktops, they pull the flame and heat away from the pot you're trying to cook with.  An overhead exhaust fan works with the natural tendency of warm air rising, so they can be less powerful and still do the job.

Rather than doing a down draft, can you make what amounts to a spray booth setup behind your bench, so the fan draws the fumes away from you as you pour?

I use a range fan and hood  got it on craigslist and ran pipe out the basement window..broke a pain out clauked in a pc. of tin with a dryer vent and it works great...no smoke no fumes..wife don't smell anything upstairs..payed $25 for the hood (used) $ 30 in pipe and tin,vent..$55 plus tax

Fishon-son,

That's similar to what i was thinking. Gonna mount a bathroom vent or a cheap kitchen hood over my bench and run the duct out of a nearby window prob. About 8ft. of vent pipe just not gonna be able to run the window a/c unit while pouring.

I built a plywood box around my microwave ( most of the fumes come from out the back) with a little extra space on one side to put my molds and cup by when I pour. I then put the 200 cfm bath fan (from Home Depot) on the top and made sure that ALL the little holes in the fan cage had duct tape over them. I also glued taped and glued where the fan cage meets the hole in the plywood on the top to make sure I got a good seal. Given that most of the space inside the box is the microwave and I'm pulling 200 cfm it really pulls out the vapors!

I use a maraboo feather to make sure I found the little holes and spaces in the vent otherwise you do vent some fumes back into the room! 

In my case, I pour in my den in the basement so I drilled a hole for the vent hose up in the ceiling tiles and then out into the garage (it's against code...but...!). I leave the fan run non stop which helps move stale air out of the basement and "warm" air into the garage during the winter (that's a good thing here in Minnesota!). The dog is happy about that ! It also moves the cool, moist air out of the basement during the summer and seems to help cool the garage a big during the summer.

When I pour I open the garage doors to get rid of the smell.

Even though my set up works really well... I still ALWAYS wear a respirator. The 3M one listed below was recommended by our Health and Safety Guy at work. It's only $30 and well worth it!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Tekk-Protection-Household-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-65021HA1-C/202080143

I used these for 25 years in the Turf and Ornamental pesticide mixing and application business.I use them today when airbrushing  solvent based paints when my face is @ the entrance of the booth. I wipe out the interior w/ Listerine before each use. They fit well,are comfortable and are disposable after many hours of use. I prefer a new respirator  for a nice tight and comfortable fit when the existing mask expire.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/10164/3M-Paint-Pesticide-Respirator