cbj11lbs

Watch Out For Too Much Worm Oil

hey guys.  I had an interesting thing happen to a few baits that had been bagged for a while.  I took a few bags out to fill an order and noticed that a few baits had "swollen" in the feet and legs.  After talking with the guys at Lureworks we determined that adding large quantities of worm oil (softener) to bagged baits can cause the baits to absorb so much worm oil that they actually will soften and expand in some areas, mainly flatter areas with large surface areas like the claws on a craw bait.  So from now on I wont be making my baits swim in worm oil.  Anyone else have anything like this occur before?  Thanks everyone

There was a member on here awhile back that had the same problem (sorry......can't remember who it was), but we came to the conclusion that this happens more often in areas with heavy humidity.  Those bags that are left in the shop during the summer months will sometimes swell.  Another thing we talked about is having thicker bags........preferably a tightly sealed 4 mil. 

I've never heard of that one.  I don't see how adding softener to the exterior of the bait could do it.  Maybe expand them, but not soften them.  Then again, I've never tried it! 

One thing I DO know for sure...........

I was low on worm oil once and added just basic Johnson baby oil to a few bags.  Don't know how or why it did it, but the baits were stiff as pencils!

I've never heard of that one.  I don't see how adding softener to the exterior of the bait could do it.  Maybe expand them, but not soften them.  Then again, I've never tried it! 

One thing I DO know for sure...........

I was low on worm oil once and added just basic Johnson baby oil to a few bags.  Don't know how or why it did it, but the baits were stiff as pencils!

The law of unintended consequences.  Hahaha

well we were loading the bags up with worm oil to where the baits were just about swimming.  Over time the oil will be absorbed into the baits and if they absorb way too much then the oil will affect them.  The softener will basically do what softener does and you will get these enlarged baits.  Companies like Culprit have their baits swimming but they use a different oil all together so they don't have issues.  I have heard of guys using 100% canola oil with great results incase anyone runs low again.