Da big tuna

Why Is My Paint Wrinkling?

I paint quite a few blank spoons and have very few problems with wrinkling but I'm still new at this game and learning.

To prep my spoon blanks I soak my spoons in vinegar and then wet sand them with the same vinegar. I'm told, which may be BS, that the acidity of the vinegar helps to etch the spoon blank. I then rinse the blanks thoroughly and wipe them down prior to painting with Isopropyl Alcohol. 

This seems to work for me.

It is no BS...vinegar does etch metal surfaces. We had copper gutters installed about a dozen years ago. My wife loved the color of the new copper, but, once the patina process set in...she hated it. So, I ended up painting that expensive guttering. :o Wiped it down with vinegar, primed and painted and it looks the same now as it did 4 years ago. Btw, apple cider vinegar is good for what ails ya. :rolleyes:

I do not believe that adhesion of the paint to the surface has anything to do with the problem described by the OP. IMO, the possibilities have already been suggested....

a) the paint is not completely dry

B) the top coat is being applied too heavily

I see the problem as one of the two....or, both.

Good luck.

When it comes to rattle can clears I found that most provide a fairly nice finish but lack any kind of durability. It's a shame to spend all that time making a nice product just to have the first fish chew the crap out of your paint job.

I've moved on to a concrete sealer until I find something that competes regarding ease, price and durability.

I didnt' read all the posts but got trough most of them and didn't see this posted.  I had the same problem and got it solved doing 2 things...

• like stated in several posts.. thick base coats are usually the culprit for this... if u know u have a thick base coat wait overnight to dry and clear the next day...
  • and the second one really helped me i think.  Createx has a clear gloss coat.. Apply that before u do your actual clear and let dry like normal.. IT HAS BEEN A LIFE SAVER when using createx!

hope this helps!

• Like 1

I'd like to check back in and let you know my progress and what all went wrong and what went right. The good news is I got it down to a science now with the help  of you all. The biggest culprit for me was not letting my paint dry enough between coats. I also switched my clear to Dick Nite. I was too eager to get to step number 7 with out doing 2-6 properly .  I will tell you as you can see from my last post it didn't happen over night. LOts of testing but a BIG thanks to all who responded here and helped me win... for now... :nuhuh: I know its only one victory but a guy can celebrate right? :pissed:

I'd like to check back in and let you know my progress and what all went wrong and what went right. The good news is I got it down to a science now with the help  of you all. The biggest culprit for me was not letting my paint dry enough between coats. I also switched my clear to Dick Nite. I was too eager to get to step number 7 with out doing 2-6 properly .  I will tell you as you can see from my last post it didn't happen over night. LOts of testing but a BIG thanks to all who responded here and helped me win... for now... :nuhuh: I know its only one victory but a guy can celebrate right? :pissed:

Congrats on your "victory". Glad to hear you've got things going your way. :yay:

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Hey guys new to TU but have gotten some great info from you guys and wanted to say thank you.

Ok heres my problem. Createx painted crankbaits and then dipped in GST as top clearcoat. Paint started to wrinkle immediately. Im new to painting crankbaits so my paint may have been to thick??? The baits were allowed to dry a few days as ive been busy doin other things and didnt get around to clearcoating them till this morning. I did 3 baits, 2 of which were untextured bodies and 1 was a textured body. The textured bait did not wrinkle at all while the 2 untextured baits wrinkled immediately after pulling out of GST. Im hoping I just painted to thick although they didnt look to thick. I just let the baits air dry in the room that they were painted in which is a spare bedroom, so air temp and/humidity werent a factor. Please help me out guys.