toddshirk44

Dick Nite Moisture Cured Urethane S81

last week I dipped some spinner blades in to the moisture cure and let them dry for 36 hours the. I then dropped 4 blades into a cup of water for 18 hours thinking the longest possible time I could ever have them in during fishing would be 10-12 hours. When I brought them out of the water they pealed very easily with the touch of a finger. What could I of done wrong? Did I not let the clear coat cure long enough I painted them in my house and moisture cured them in my house 70* ? They say that the moisture cure is used for spoons spinner blades shouldn't be any different. Paint cured for over a week! any suggestions?

Thanks in advance 

I've never had anything like that happen with DN S81, even on lures trolled for many hours.  My first suspicion is you might have gotten one of the other topcoat products sold by DN, like his water based topcoat.  If the topcoat turned milky after prolonged soaking, that means it absorbed water and is the water based topcoat.  The S81 first dries like regular urethane,  then moisture cures over several days into a tougher coating.  Does your "S81" have a distinctive solvent smell?

If you're sure you got the correct S81, then I would look at the coatings underneath the topcoat.  Never heard of it happening, but you can't exclude the possibility that another solvent based coating prevented the S81 from curing properly.

In any event, I'd contact DN to investigate the problem.

I've had the second coat react with the first coat and bubble unless the first had completely out-gassed all of its solvent and had begun to moisture cure - so what's the minimum re-coat time?  I guess it depends on environmental conditions.  I've done OK when waiting at least 24 hrs, 48 hrs is probably better.  But with your specific problem, I don't know whether a second coat will help or not.

For some reason the S81 did not apply the same over the entire blade some spots were thinner. I'm thinking it was due to the operator myself not dipping evenly. some blades came out great some did not. thanks for the suggestions guys. one more thing is there a water base paint that's better to use than Createx for AB application looking for something that will not stink up the entire basement? Maybe even a solvent paint with very low oder????????

Thank you Ben looking forward to giving it a try

My pleasure Mark. Just make sure you've read up on the storage issues associated with moisture cured urethanes before getting started. I tried dipping lures in DN because of the ease of application and even thickness that dipping gives, but soon realized that there is a good bit of waste due to the exposure to moisture every time you open the container. I recently decided to go back to DN S81 using the "tap the can" method and brushing it on. This is the only way I know of applying DN without ending up with a sunstantial amount of wasted top coat.

good luck,

Ben

I talked to dick nite about 2-3 weeks ago because I was having an issue that my order had not been received as well- he has had some family health issues with both mother and father and was just getting some orders out and assured me mine was on the way and sure enough couple of days later it arrived-

mike  <::><

Yeah, you can't expect a small business like DN to always ship product like Amazon.com.  But I will say that compared to the several other MCU's I've tried over the years, Dick Nite S81 is superior in every way.  It even lasts longer in storage!

Yeah, you can't expect a small business like DN to always ship product like Amazon.com.  But I will say that compared to the several other MCU's I've tried over the years, Dick Nite S81 is superior in every way.  It even lasts longer in storage!

I agree totally Bob. A lot of us tend to forget that just because someone has a website and sells their products there doesn't mean that they're some multimillion dollar corporation with hundreds of employees. 

Ben

Well, I'm not trying to make excuses for Dick - customer service is a good thing, large or small.  But considering that he is the sole source for that particular product and he sells it to TU'ers at a discount, I do think we should cut him some slack.  I for one wouldn't like to see Dick decide that the TU crowd is just too rowdy to bother with in the future. :nuhuh:

I agree- he spent about 20 min. on the phone with me that day and was as nice as you could ask for-answered any question I had about the product with the utmost clarity- explained his whole process to me in detail and that's when I built my warming box- works great-- definitely shortened the learning curve associated with MCU

mike  <::><