Dink Mendez

Pop Mold

I plan on making some pop mold this weekend. However, I purchase  Dental pop. I remember in college my friend was using it to make teeth impression to make a  bridge. He told me the Dental plaster had better accuracy and detail.  I lost track of him, he went into a dental field of making crowns and other teeth related stuff. So I purchase some this week. 12.87 a 50 lb sack. However the sack doesn't give the mixing ration. Any help would be appreciated.

I put my POP in a tupperware, twice the volume I think I'll need, and then add water slowly and mix until it's all wet and the consistency of pancake batter.  Let it sit for a minute, so any little bits of unmixed material gets wet, and you should be good to go.

Cold water gives you more working time.

Vibrate gently to eliminate any air bubbles that get trapped in the pour.

I typically coat my masters with  POP by hand first before I lay them into the mold, so I'm sure all the details are filled.

Take your time, you should have lots of working time, and make the mold face as even as is possible, if you're making a two part mold.

Someone here (I apologize, I don't remember who) posted a link to his website, where he has a tutorial on POP mold making.  Do a search and see how he does it.

i use a big solo cup, fill it about 2/3 way with water and then start adding POP slowly until it starts to make islands. let it all sink in, stir it good so there are no lumps. then i add elmers glue to it. that gives it a very smooth shiny finish on the bottom (the glue sinks)

i use a big solo cup, fill it about 2/3 way with water and then start adding POP slowly until it starts to make islands. let it all sink in, stir it good so there are no lumps. then i add elmers glue to it. that gives it a very smooth shiny finish on the bottom (the glue sinks)

If you add the glue into the wet mix, do you still have to seal the cavities before you can pour?