BobP

Ok, About Those Concrete Sealers...

Hey, I'm all over any topcoat that's easy to apply (especially dipping), has good gloss, no storage issues, and is DURABLE.  What I haven't seen enough of yet are posts about how durable the concrete sealers are.  I don't want a topcoat that is not as tough ON THE WATER as epoxy, moisture cured urethane, or UV cured polyester.  So how about it, guys... what is your experience in this area with Gst or any other brand of sealer?

Have you ever seen it cloud up after immersion, indicating that it has softened and absorbed water?

How has it performed against impact and hook rash?

Any "Gotchas" while applying it to lures or fishing them later?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Having never used it for lures, I am not the one to answer your question. But, I have worked around this type of sealer many years in the construction trades. I would think the ability to walk on it, mop it and park cars on it would indicate it would probably stand up to fishing conditions. Remember, I could be completely wrong. Musky Glenn

I live in nebraska so it's ice season now. But I began dipping plastic knockoffs a few months ago, and I have to say the gst seems to me like its hard as nails. Last week I took a lure to a local lake where the water comes out from the dam and the water is crystal clear, and about the only place to swim test lures. On about the third cast I over threw the crankbait and it smashed into the concrete spill way. I honestly thought the lure would have busted because it was only 15 degrees. There was literally no scratch on the thing. I dip kos lip and all, and they look like factory lures when finished. Last October I tried fishing a few cranks after letting them dry a couple days and had some scratches, but let them dry for a month and see how hard they get. I'm not sure during the summer what topcoat I will use, because I like to paint and fish a lure the next day. But the long winter allows for ample dry time. Sorry about the long rant!

I'm still playing around with it as a top coat but I will say it works great as a wood sealer.I submerge the lures for 3-4 minutes.Let them drip then hang to dry for a few days.This is a very thin product and it penetrates well..(which makes sense considering it's made to seal concrete!!)...Nathan

Concrete sealer is quite common amongst home lure carvers in Finland , ...I do not know any details about the process other than it is dipped on in about 8 dips , prefereably shortly after one another so that the single coats adhere very well to the halfway cured previous layer , ......but I have a few glidebaits made that way and I can say , that this stuff really provides a rock hard topcoat .

Greetz , diemai :yay:

I use it on my wood lures with good results. I also use it as my wood sealer before the prime coat. I've tried most of the common topcoats aside from solarez and this is by far the easiest, for me anyway. In regards to durability/longevity I think only time will tell. I only started using the product in the fall and now with a foot of ice on our lakes I haven't been able to do much testing. 

I use it on my wood lures with good results. I also use it as my wood sealer before the prime coat. I've tried most of the common topcoats aside from solarez and this is by far the easiest, for me anyway. In regards to durability/longevity I think only time will tell. I only started using the product in the fall and now with a foot of ice on our lakes I haven't been able to do much testing. 

There is another question I had answered......Can you paint over it..  

Do you use it inside your house? Some concrete sealers I been around are strong enough to make you dizzy just being close to it outside.

Lots of different kinds of GST is the wet look lacquer what you are using.

(GST International High Gloss Wet Look Lacquer Concrete Sealer)

This is the stuff I use -

http://www.menards.com/main/landscapeestimator/additionaloptions/sealer/gst-international-high-gloss-wet-look-lacquer-concrete-sealer/p-1762089-c-5651.htm

Let me know if you have trouble with the link.

Yes, I use it in my garage and yes you can paint over it. It has a strong odor but I only dip 12 lures at a time so it's not terrible. The first coat I do takes the longest because I let it soak in for a few minutes. After that it's just a quick dip and hang. I do 3 seal coats and then a dip in rustoleum flat white cut with acetone. Createx paint over that then 3 more topcoats of GST. 

Water speeds up the curing process, on topcoats anyway. After the 3rd dip has set for a few hours I pitch the cranks in a bucket of water, towel dry, set my rings/hooks and hang for the night. Make sure the hooks aren't in contact with the crank though. They will be dry enough to bag the next day but I usually wait a little longer longer if I have the time to let some of the smell gas off. Not sure what the water does but I know it works. Don't think I would try it on the sealer coats though.

I've been using it for a bit now. No way to test on the water up here in ND yet. Here's a couple things to consider.

• When painting, make sure to heat set each layer. If you don't, the GST can crackle the paint. I have had this happen a couple times when I was in a hurry. It also helps if you spay a couple layers of gloss top coat and heat set them.
  • Yes, there is an odor but if you use a fan and limit the amount of time you're exposed, it's just fine.
  • I have found that if you wait 2-3 hours between dips, the GST cures rock hard in about 2-3 weeks.
  • Use a straight piece of wire attached to the hook hanger to decrease GST gobbing up there.
  • I use hemostats to dip the lures and make sure when dipping, the lure doesn't touch the sides of the jar.
  • Speaking of jars, I use a salsa jar and a pasta sauce jar. Try to avoid a jar that has a lid with a rubber seal. The GST seems to disolve the seal.
  • When dipping poppers, dip with the popper mouth upwards. I have had issues with GST drying with a drip on the rim of the popper mouth if I dip it the other way. If you are concerned with GST pooling in the mouth. Just tip the lure quickly before hanging.
  • When I use GST to seal wood lures, I dip twice to get a nice smooth surface.The first dip really soaks into the wood, the second dip gives you a great surface.
  • GST doesn't seem to like permanent markers. They will bleed. This can be a cool effect for bleeding gills.
Edited by FrogAddict

Mason,

I don't have much experience with diving lips. I make mostly top waters. I did just do a couple crankbaits but I used the plastic from a rubbermaid storage deal that we were going to throw out and I did dip the lip as well. Hasn't seemed to hurt anything but I don't sell my lures. I don't care too much what they look like as long as they catch fish. I wonder if dipping the lip adds any strength to my homemade concoction?

Barr,

Thanks! It's the easiest topcoat process if you have the time.

Edited by FrogAddict

Not sure if this should be a brand new thread or not but here goes. I dipped a few lures a little over 2 weeks ago now and while the GST has hardened its still soft enought that I can make an indention with my fingernail. Am I just being impatient and should just wait it out? I would like to top coat some more baits but honestly I'm sort of questioning its strength.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I did a double dip, about 6 hours apart.

Edited by Inrll