wvmusky

Pigtail Or Hitchhiker-Like Apparatus On Glide Baits

I make my own musky baits and was wanting to add a soft plastic tail to one of my glide baits. I have a few other glide baits with plastic tails and they use a pigtail or hitchhiker like screw apparatus installed in the body of the bait. My question is are they simply a hitchhiker that has been drilled and set in the body of the bait in epoxy or is there a special pigtail device that you can buy and screw into the wood to allow the plastic tails to screw on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I've made a couple of hard baits with a soft plastic tail that was screwed on like your talking about. Instead of buying the hitch hiker pig tails like your talking about I just made my own by wrapping stainless wire around a piece of welding rod and fixed it so it could be anchored into the body of the bait.

Ben

I tried the screw, then I bought some ss springs and now I do it same as Ben above.  It works great.  I wrap the ss wire tightly around a mandrel held in a vise.  Then after I slide it off the mandrel, I grab both ends with needle nose pliers and stretch it out until I have the gap I want.  Cut off the lengths I need, match the diameter up in your drill stand and drill a hole in end of bait.  Epoxy your baitkeeper in place.  When you screw the plastic on, crazy glue it to the back of the bait.  This method really holds the plastic up against the bait nicely.

First time I did it I wound the wire the wrong direction.  Now I wrap it so I wind up with a right hand thread.  It still works of course but you can't see the thread direction when the tail is on and I am testing the bait before painting so I like to know what direction to screw the plastic off too. 

For some one piece rat wake baits I made, I put a Spro swivel into the tail location, and used a hitch hiker to attach a plastic worm for a tail.  That makes it easy to change tails, and the Spro swivels last as long as the bait.  Hitch hikers, even the sst ones, have a finite life, and will fail long before the lure dies.

I tried the screw, then I bought some ss springs and now I do it same as Ben above.  It works great.  I wrap the ss wire tightly around a mandrel held in a vise.  Then after I slide it off the mandrel, I grab both ends with needle nose pliers and stretch it out until I have the gap I want.  Cut off the lengths I need, match the diameter up in your drill stand and drill a hole in end of bait.  Epoxy your baitkeeper in place.  When you screw the plastic on, crazy glue it to the back of the bait.  This method really holds the plastic up against the bait nicely.

First time I did it I wound the wire the wrong direction.  Now I wrap it so I wind up with a right hand thread.  It still works of course but you can't see the thread direction when the tail is on and I am testing the bait before painting so I like to know what direction to screw the plastic off too. 

I did exactly the same thing when I built my first one Barry. It took me a second to figure out why the plastic didn't want to thread onto the wire coil. Then it dawned on me that I had put left hand "threads" on the wire coil. Just one more in a long line of Homer Simpson moments. :wacko:

Ben

I did exactly the same thing when I built my first one Barry. It took me a second to figure out why the plastic didn't want to thread onto the wire coil. Then it dawned on me that I had put left hand "threads" on the wire coil. Just one more in a long line of Homer Simpson moments. :wacko:

Ben

Is that like finding that half the nails you bought have the head on the wrong end?