fordtech5

Silicon Mold Maker

Hey guys/girls, I have been trying to make a silicon mold for a lure I have made, spent lots of cash, trying to get it right, so I started looking on the web for a person or company that can make me one, but cant seem to find any, I will pay cash to get one made, I have given up spending all my money on silicon and not getting it right, its about 7 inchs long 3 inch's tall and less then 1/2 inch thick. I live in Ontario Canada, please please please point me in the right direction, or a person that can help!! I will be pouring resin blanks,

Rob

i have tried the home brew silicon , I have bought mold making silicon on line, tried many different companies,, I get air bubbles, don't mix enough and don't end up having enough, cant get a proper parting line and such.. I have tried resin mold , and the like, just cant get it right,  very frustrated!.. I really would like to start pouring before spring,  not rubber , but hard resin lure body's for musky.. from alumilite.. alim

Fordtech5

I send you a PM.

The best way to make a mold with silicon is to start with plaster of Paris and push the bait in halfway in to the parting line that you want and let dry. The next step is to mix a smaller amount of silicon and brush it onto master not too thick and make sure that there are no bubbles, you can hit it with a bit of heat from a hair dryer or heat gun to make sure that all the bubbles pop, not too much or you will cook the silicon. Let it dry for awhile and then mix up more to finish off that side. You can add small cut up pieces of silicon to the mix to add some bulk and save some $$$$ by using less mold making silicon, just make sure that it is clean and not oily or it won't stick to the fresh liquid silicon. Let it cure for a day and then you are ready to start the second half of the mold. Chip out the plaster of Paris trying not to remove the master from the cured silicon side. Clean it to make sure no P of P remains and then apply the mold release everywhere. Then repeat the same steps as before to create the second half. You should not have any bubbles in your mold after this.

You can replace the Plaster of Paris with modelling clay which I find makes nicer parting lines but you have to make sure that the clay is sulfer free or you will have a whole new set of problems :)

Edited by Jdeee

Fordtech5

I send you a PM.

The best way to make a mold with silicon is to start with plaster of Paris and push the bait in halfway in to the parting line that you want and let dry. The next step is to mix a smaller amount of silicon and brush it onto master not too thick and make sure that there are no bubbles, you can hit it with a bit of heat from a hair dryer or heat gun to make sure that all the bubbles pop, not too much or you will cook the silicon. Let it dry for awhile and then mix up more to finish off that side. You can add small cut up pieces of silicon to the mix to add some bulk and save some $$$$ by using less mold making silicon, just make sure that it is clean and not oily or it won't stick to the fresh liquid silicon. Let it cure for a day and then you are ready to start the second half of the mold. Chip out the plaster of Paris trying not to remove the master from the cured silicon side. Clean it to make sure no P of P remains and then apply the mold release everywhere. Then repeat the same steps as before to create the second half. You should not have any bubbles in your mold after this.

You can replace the Plaster of Paris with modelling clay which I find makes nicer parting lines but you have to make sure that the clay is sulfer free or you will have a whole new set of problems :)

Jdeee,

Can you add caulking 100% silicone to the mold silicone after you've coated the master, to add bulk to it?

Mark

Yup that is what I used, cut up GE bathtub caulking 100% silicon. Just make sure the cover coating has that you brush on has skinned over really well or the caulking will sink thru and cause voids. I haven't tried this but I bet you could just add it to your framed mold straight from the chalking gun in beads as long as you are careful to not trap air, at the same time adding liquid casting silicon to the mix. I meant to try this using that method but it has been awhile since I did a mold.

It would probably be even better than the same cut pieces.

I find that the molds are more ridged by adding the caulking which is a good thing

why do you use silikon as well?

i use resin and fibre glas for my carbon lures, thats much more easy and i dont have to use so much expensive silikon!

i would build one 4 you but im from austria so learn do build your own

file:///C:/Users/Philipp.Krona/Desktop/Angeln/Lures/Mould%20n%20lure.jpg

why do you use silikon as well?

i use resin and fibre glas for my carbon lures, thats much more easy and i dont have to use so much expensive silikon!

i would build one 4 you but im from austria bro..

file:///C:/Users/Philipp.Krona/Desktop/Angeln/Lures/Mould n lure.jpg

Predator Hunter

Can you show us some pictures and explain how you do this?