pat28

Alumilite Products

Hi everyone,

I have been mking lures out of wood for about ten years now (just for my own box, no wish to sell!), and I was wondering whether I should get into pouring just to add more spice (or fumes) to my life. Having done research, I have of course come across alumilite. I first wanted to get into soft plastics, but then their hard bait kit would also allow me to make a mold of my favorite home made wood bait. Are there things I should know or do you have comments about the stuff before I spend some 400$ on it? I should also add that I am into muskie lures.

Thanks for your help!

Pat

Check out smooth on. There is a bunch of manufacturers that sell rtv and urethane resin. For substanualy less then alumilite. And I sell plastisol. And I will tell you it will mess you up if you dont use proper safety equipment.. prooven to cause cancer. I dont believe so.. but now days your gallon of milk in the fridge might very well be shortening our lifespans...

Carcinogens are everywhere you look. No matter how carefully and clean free you try and live your life you run into at least one every single day just around your house. While plastisol fumes may not be considered a carcinogen I'm sure that it in some way damages the alveoli inside of your lungs as well as other tissues in the lungs to boot. Bottom line, just be careful with it and protect yourself and you'll be fine. You undoubtedly do more damage to your lungs smoking or being around those that smoke than making fishing lures. Plus, I'm sure you use an airbrush and already know the benefits of owning a respirator while painting.

I have checked out smooth on products, and they are indeed less expensive, but best of all, they are available close to my place, which should save me the trouble of heavy shipping and custom fees. Is there a specific smooth on product I should look for if I intend to pour plastisol and / or hard bait resin?

Thanks for the info so far. It is very handy.

Pat

The guy from the company says mold max 30 would be most durable for my needs ( resin and soft plastics). It is a slower demold time, but heck, one mold should last me a few lures, so an extra two hours of dry time for it wont kill me. And this confirms your theory baitjunky.

Pat