mark poulson

Cheap Necko Weights

I'll be first to ask. What is a Neko weight?

The fat weight, like a nail weight with a swollen head, that is inserted into the end of a plastic bait to give it additional weight.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=products&searchtext=neko&x=7&y=5

Edited by mark poulson

Couldn't a person just take the screw lock shakey head mold and just pour it without the hook - only use the screw lock?  You would need to trim off  a little for the hook eye and the hook shank that would over pour but I'm sure that would clean up nicely.  Just a little round head with the screw lock.  You could even paint them by holding the screw lock if you wanted. 

This rig is a tail weighted senko with a plain hook tied to your line right?

• Like 1

Couldn't a person just take the screw lock shakey head mold and just pour it without the hook - only use the screw lock?  You would need to trim off  a little for the hook eye and the hook shank that would over pour but I'm sure that would clean up nicely.  Just a little round head with the screw lock.  You could even paint them by holding the screw lock if you wanted. 

This rig is a tail weighted senko with a plain hook tied to your line right?

Ah you gave away my lifelong secret. :eek:  :eek:  LOL

Not really, however that is what I've been doing for one of my customers and it works just fine

That is how I did it a few years back and at the time the only place you could get the screw lock nekos was from Japan ($5.99 per 5 weights).  So I started making my own.  I was the first to have a whole neko weight line in the US and it allowed me to pick up many new companies, here and abroad.  It lasted for 2 years and then everyone caught on to how easy they were to make.  In those 2 years I made more money on those weights than I did on all my other products put together.  The key was the football neko weight because I was the only one in the world at the time that made them.  So simple but no one was doing it.  Yes the round shakey head and the football shakey head make great neko weights and it will save you alot of money.

On of my go to finesse baits is a wacky senko with a drywall nail stuck in the end. I picked upa pound at the hardware store for a few bucks and probably got 500??

Around our country we loose a lot of baits to rocks. Dropshotting is almost impossible and if I stay on my game and not let it lay flat on the bottom this works great. Plus its pretty damn effective.