benm98

Leather Lure Lips

I as making a crankbait when I had a realization that my lure looked more like a frog than a fish. However, I have already cut my bill slot and is at a shallow angle. Is there anything I can do to use this slot for a bill that can make a wake? I've seen wooden mouse lure that have leather bills. 

Is plugging your slot with the same material the bait is made from an option? You could cut a thin strip and epoxy it in. Then it would just be a matter of re-cutting your lip slot to an appropriate angle for a wake bait. Or you could fill the current slot with epoxy putty and then cut a new lip slot.

Ben

Ben and Bob, I use the old lip slot to help hold the lure while I cut the new slow, if possible.  I tack in a rectangular piece of lexan temporarily, and use that to hold the lure in a flat faced clamp that I can ride on my bandsaw table.  Even if I wind up hitting the lexan with the new cut, once I have that first cut to use as a guide, I can freehand the rest of the cut and glue the new lip up against the first cut, which I know is square and true.

What brand of epoxy putty do you guys use?