Jaw

Mirror Chrome Film

Kind of a revisit to a topic I asked about a few weeks ago but just wanted to tell you guys I was able to get some scrap mirror chrome film and it is actually a thinner material than the foil I just put some on a piece of scrap and epoxied over it waiting to see how it turns out but looked good when I left it

Not much different than foil but still unsure just checked my scrap piece to see if epoxy had any ill effects on it looks good but now in not sure if this is the film for vehicle wraps or a mirror coating my friend who has a boat and car wrap business dropped it off when I wasn't around and I haven't talked to him yet but whichever it is I hope it works because it has a great mirror look

So far so bad on the chrome film it looks great but the adhesive that's on it keeps releasing still working on it some of you guys more experienced with foiling baits could probably have it figured out

I may have a solution for the weak adhesive on the mirror chrome film your trying to use Jaw. It requires a good bit of extra work, but so far has helped me solve the "weak adhesive" problem. I ran into the same problem with the holographic foil I've been using lately. The edges at the top and bottom didn't want to stay down so this is what I did.

Cut out a rectangular piece of foil that's a little larger than what's needed to cover the bait. Then take blue painters tape and cover the side that will be showing once it's on the lure. This is to protect the film from the next step since acetone will cloud the clear finish protecting the holographic film. After you've covered the side that will show with painters tape peel the backing from the adhesive side. Wet a paper towel with acetone and clean the adhesive off of the foil. Now you'll need to cut your foil to the correct size and shape needed to cover your lure. Don't get overly aggressive with trying to wrap the foil too far up onto the back, or belly, of the lure. This will only make the edges want to lift away from the bait and cause wrinkles along the edges. Once the adhesive is cleaned away you can now take the blue painters tape off the foil. Next you will need to apply contact cement to both the foil and lure following the instructions on the cement. Only do one side of the bait at a time.The contact cement is the same type used for laying Formica on counter tops. Once you have waited the appropriate time for the cement to get tacky apply the foil to the bait. You'll have to be extremely careful placing the foil on the bait as you will only get one shot at doing it since the contact cement is so strong. After laying the foil down you will need to wrap the bait tightly with a stout cord. I used braided Dacron line like that used for plumb bobs or chalk lines. Make sure to lay each wrap right next to each previous wrap until it completely covers the bait. To start off I tie one end of the string to a hook hanger, or line tie, and then start wrapping. Once you get to the middle of the lure you may have to run your string straight down through the hanger on the opposite end from where you started and then wrap back toward the end you started from. This is so the line doesn't slip when you get past the widest part of the bait and start going "downhill". Once you have the lure completely wrapped throw a couple half hitches in it so it remains tight and doesn't slip. Now just lay it aside and let the contact cement cure. I usually wait at least several hours and overnight doesn't hurt. Now just unwrap the bait and do the other side the same way. Once both sides have cured you will have some excess cement on the back and belly of the bait that needs to be removed. This is easily done by using one of the round bristle brushes available for use with the Dremel. Once the excess cement is removed I apply one or two coats of epoxy to hide the edges of the foil. Sometimes one will work and other times it takes a couple coats to get a truly smooth transition from the foil to the bait.

This is definitely not a process that anyone producing baits for sale would want to use as it involves a lot of extra steps and adds quite a bit of extra time to the build, but if your building for yourself it's the only way I've found that allows the use of some of the thicker, holographic foils with weak adhesive.

good luck,

Ben

I 'll give it a shot today if I've got any cement handy .I tried superglue on a jerkbait I made and it looked good at first but lifted when on the lureturner also have it on a flatsided crank I made but not sure if it's going to work any better stepped away from it when I got frustrated last night so close to the look I want. Thanks for the advice I saw the wheelchair you did with the hollo foil it looks great I have some similar foil but haven't tried it yet that's next