Cru3rd

Spro Crankbait Blanks

The little john eyes are way too small, but the fat papa's on eBay come with eyes. I just don't know where I'm going to get eyes for the real fat papa's I bought to repaint.

Measure the eye recess on the lure as if it were a fully rounded eye and cut one side off of a standard 3D eye to get the "mad eye".

Ben

UPDATE - I got the little jons done. Createx paint, 4 coats of GST, 5mm rings and #6 36246R Mustad hooks. The ones with rattles sink. The ones without float. They sit in the water nose down, tail up just like the factory ones. Nice blanks in my opinion.

Anyone get anywhere on the fat papa's? I'm curious.

I got a few of the Spro Little John knockoffs recently.  The plastic bodies seem internally and externally the same as the Little John I have except for the shifting ball bearing which is steel in the knockoff and rubber coated metal in the factory model.  I painted one in a ghost pattern with minimal paint and MCU topcoat - it barely floats in cold water with just 1/4" of the end of the tail sticking above the surface, fitted with #1 split rings and #6 Gamakatsu Round Bend trebles.   Bottom line, if you want a floating lure you'll need to pay close attention to the weight of finish and added hardware unless you want to drill out some of the nose ballast.  Otherwise, if you like the originals, you'll probably like these baits too.  They're relatively heavy for such a small 2" bait and should cast like a bullet, plus #6 trebles will not tangle or catch on the lip - all good attributes.

I used to buy Spro eyes online but found that I can take any regular eye, use an exacto knife and cut it in half and the eyes fit PERFECTLY on Spro bodies.  The first picture was a Spro deep diving NOT a 2.5 deep diver. Here is a site where you can get the deep diving Spro lure body. The website shows it painted but you have to email them and ask how much per piece if you get it unpainted  http://www.odafishing.com   I used to buy my lure blanks online here in the states but now I need large quanties. It took some searching but you can find a lot of the chinese manufacturers (legit ones) on Alibaba.com  I just ordered 500 lure blanks (3 different models. Takes 20 days to complete the molding process and then 2-3 weeks for shipping. Its where the these guys in the US are getting their blanks. Wait til you see the prices! Lure blanks I was paying $1.75-$2 for are actually about .98c/ each and they are the SAME ones!  I still can't find one of my favorite lipless crankbaits in china called "Grave Digger". http://www.luremeincrankbaits.com/gravedigger.html   Let me know if anyone has found this one. I found it painted but that manufacturer wont sell it unpainted.

• Like 1