mark poulson

Adding Scales For Dummies Like Me

In playing around with the Glonation paint, I have begun applying it with a 1/2" artist's brush and using the brush to vary the paint thickness, so the bait's luminescence isn't solid.

I realized that I could use the same technique to add scales to cranks, using Elmer's glue, which is also very thick.

If you play around with it, you'll find that you can apply overlapping semicircular patterns pretty easily.  By varying the brush size, you can vary the scale size.

Any water based air brush paint will go over the dried glue with no trouble at all.

Just like ribs on a plastic creature bait move water more than a smooth bait, the raised scale pattern will move more water, too.  I think it will be especially good in off color or stained water, and in low light conditions.

It is much easier than carving scales, and I'm all for easier.

I just posted a picture of a lure I painted today.  It's an older timber tiger that I'd repainted in a darker craw pattern, with the segments high lighted by sharpies.  Then I added the glo paint.

Here's the link to the gallery photo:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/12937-glonation-craw/

Edited by mark poulson