sallystrothers

Cool Product For Our Safety

Came across while researching how to minimize exposure risk to isocyanates, methyl amines, wood dust, paint pigments, and microballoons. Its called hobbyair and is a well priced supplied air respirator. Organic respirators and dust masks never seal perfectly but with a supplied air respirator you don't need to worry as much because the air flows away from your mask (positive pressure). 

Check it out. Expensive but well worth it my opinion. We use very dangerous stuff. I just ordered a half mask set up with a tyvek hood for spraying clear.

Knowing how a lot of us are tinkerers and garage inventors I'd like to offer a word of caution before anyone tries to build their own forced air respirator using a compressor and mask they have at home. Breathing air has to be filtered so no oil vapors reach the lungs. I don't know exactly how much oil vapor a person would have to get into their lungs to seriously harm or kill them, but if memory serves me correctly it's not much. Just a word of caution.

Ben

Respirators when fitted properly and utilizing proper media work fine.  

Not according to people who work in the autobody industry

Knowing how a lot of us are tinkerers and garage inventors I'd like to offer a word of caution before anyone tries to build their own forced air respirator using a compressor and mask they have at home. Breathing air has to be filtered so no oil vapors reach the lungs. I don't know exactly how much oil vapor a person would have to get into their lungs to seriously harm or kill them, but if memory serves me correctly it's not much. Just a word of caution.

Ben

I don't think their product uses oil in the motor, it is a centrifugal type.

I don't think their product uses oil in the motor, it is a centrifugal type.

Guess I should have made myself clearer. I was talking about someone trying to rig up their own forced air breathing system using parts and equipment they already have or might possibly buy for the purpose of building their own forced air system. I should have noted my comment pertained to use with an oiled piston type compressor. This type compressor has cylinders with compression rings pretty much like a car engine. Even if a cylinder has multiple, offset rings there is still the possibility that oil can slip past them. There are filters designed to remove oil and water from compressed air given the fact that they are properly maintained.

I was only trying to give everyone an idea of the dangers involved when trying to jury rig a forced air breathing apparatus. Not commenting on the particular equipment mentioned above.

Ben

Guess I should have made myself clearer. I was talking about someone trying to rig up their own forced air breathing system using parts and equipment they already have or might possibly buy for the purpose of building their own forced air system. I should have noted my comment pertained to use with an oiled piston type compressor. This type compressor has cylinders with compression rings pretty much like a car engine. Even if a cylinder has multiple, offset rings there is still the possibility that oil can slip past them. There are filters designed to remove oil and water from compressed air given the fact that they are properly maintained.

I was only trying to give everyone an idea of the dangers involved when trying to jury rig a forced air breathing apparatus. Not commenting on the particular equipment mentioned above.

Ben

Yes I would agree. Anyone who sprays auto clears should have a positive pressure respirator in my opinion. No matter how well I fit my organic vapor half mask I can still smell the solvents from auto clears which makes my suspicious that some isocyanates are getting past as well.

The pos pressure masks I've seen have a battery powered air pump and filter combination that attaches to your belt, so there aren't any oil lubricated things involved.

But they only recycle the air that's in the shop, and are really meant for wood workers and dust, not chemicals.

All of our mucous membranes, including out eyes, can absorb harmful vapors, so be sure that any filter you use is rated for the kind of fumes you're trying to eliminate, or you can wind up getting exposed even though you're wearing a mask.

I do my super glueing and nail polish painting outside, or with a fan blowing past, so I can't smell anything.  Same with pouring plastics.  If I can smell it, that's not good.

Edited by mark poulson

Not according to people who work in the autobody industry

A proper fitted respirator and cartridge will be more than adequate for guys slapping paint on cranks.    Now if we want to debate comfort then I will take your option or better yet a proper hood ventilation system so no respirator needs to be utilized.