megabite

Mylar Tube Shrinkwrap?

The spoons in the picture work extremely well for catching striped bass at Lake Powell. I have seen times where no other spoon (in the box...) would work.  Unfortunately they are no longer available. The inventor passed away two years ago.  His family has been silent about continuing or selling the business. I would like to figure out how to make something similar for my own use.

At a guess the cover seems like some kind of mylar(?) that is obviously shrink wrapped onto the slabs. Does anyone have any idea what the cover material might be called? TIA!

wallylure_zpsa2205266.jpg

That is just a mylar tinsel woven into a nylon tubing. He had to wrap the ends with thread to keep it from un-raveling. It is a bit of a hassle to work with, but in the end can produce some neat effects. It is NOT shrink wrapped, you just feed the spoon into it, pull the ends tight, wrap it off, and epoxy. After the epoxy sets you can trim the loose ends of the braided sleeve, and that is that. Called braided mylar body tubing. 

http://files.stripersonline.com/ubb547/image_uploads3/Baitfish.jpg

^ A baitfish pattern using the stuff. 

Edited by jigginpig