Bruce Johns

Lighting ?

Another newbie question but...what sort of lighting do you guys use for taking such amazing pictures of your baits?   I've made and sold bamboo fly rods, trout flies, etc. in the past but never was much good with my photography.   Is there some sort of "natural" light bulb that you use, or am I just overthinking it?   :)

I do bug photography and only ever use the pop-up flash, works fine for me. If you find the flash is too strong, you can always tape some tissue over the flash, but I don't find it necessary. If color corrections are necessary, I use Photoshop. You should be able to download an older version free (Phososhop version 7). I managed to download CS6 for free.

The main thing you are trying to achieve, is the removal of a hard shadow behind the lure. The further away from the backdrop, the less shadow you get. A light box with twin lighting would be a good solution if you plan on doing a lot of this kind of photography.

Dave

I have had pretty good luck by taking my baits outdoors to photograph.  The natural sunlight gives better color rendering than many indoor lights and camera flashes.  My wife is a photographer, and her gear works great, but I don't like setting it up for a shot or two.  Outdoors isn't always an option, but try it sometime, if you haven't already.  Slightly overcast conditions seem to work the best for me.  You'll have less glare and shadows.