mark poulson

Air Brush Cheater

I was painting a lure today, and I realized I've been cheating when I use my Iwata HP-C, which has a .3mm needle.

When I mix paint, I try and thin it to a non-fat milk consistency.

But when I'm spraying base coat wicked white, or a pearl, any paint that I don't want to thin, I back the needle out a little, and it sprays fine.

I first started doing this to clear my brush when hobby paint particles clogged it, and I didn't want to take the time to clean out the paint bowl and thin the paint.

Now it's something I do automatically when I'm base coating and spraying pearls.  The thicker paint, in thin coats, dries fast, and builds fast.

I do paint at higher pressure, 30-40 psi, than most of you guys, and maybe that's why it works for me.

I am no artist, but, bottom line, it works for me.

• Like 1

The triple action handle can give you that result it kinda makes your brush a single action if you adjust the barrel to the setting you want. I have them on my Eclipse's but I'm not sure if they fit the HP-C though.

Where can I go to look at a triple action handle?  I've never heard of one before.

Mark so far I really like the ability to flush the brush out as I take forever with paint in the brush and tip dry and paint boogers are prevalent with my slow process, I really don't see me needing to take the crown cap off for fishing tackle but it's nice to have that little option of placing it on the rear of the brush to prevent losing it (visually challenged). It also comes in handy when using cheaper craft paint to flush out occasionally.