pat28

Where Should I Look?

Hi guys,

I was wondering where one finds esox size steel wire coil in one's neighborhood without going through mail order. Hardware stores such as Home Depot carry some steel wire, but is is very soft and bendable, so I cannot see myself reeling in a 40+ in. fish with it. And I cannot believe only fishing gear suppliers carry steel wire...

Thanks for your help!

Pat

Edited by pat28

Try your local shop that sells welding supplies. They have coils and rods in bundles and sometimes you can even buy separate rods so you can try out different diameters. I use .062 approx 16 gauge wire. It can be really hard to bend I suggest a good pair of round nose pliers and a small bolt cutter to easily cut the wire.

If a musky bends this stuff I want to meet em !!!!!

Edited by Jdeee

If you have a sporting goods store nearby that carries steel leader wire for saltwater use, it is semi-tempered and comes in various test strengths.  Malin is a popular brand.

JMHO, guys tend to use wire sizes that are over-kill even for big fish.  Malin 12 gauge leader wire is rated for 190 lbs and is pretty thin.  Do you think a musky could apply 190 lbs of force?  Way before that happened, all the guides would be torn off your rod. 

When I used stainless wire for my musky leaders, I used either 0.018" or 0.020". Never had any musky break that. My line would have broke long before the leader would. I now use 65# test Berkley Vanish florocarbon withperfection loop knots on each end. Never had a muskie chew through that(up to 49.5").

I tend to use heavier leader wire in the .050 sizes for two reasons. First is kinking and the second is it doesn't seem to tangle in hooks as often. Your right, breakage is not a problem with the smaller sizes. The WNC Muskie Club has had some problems with florocarbon leaders being biten into. Musky Glenn