F&R

Gst Won't Harden

Okay guys! I got a gallon of GST concrete sealer. I was immediately a bit concerned that there was a little leakage around the screw on cap. But I was mostly bothered because the leakage had dried and it was an amber color. It is supposed to be crystal clear when dry. I painted a dozen baits and dipped them three times. The first two dips were about four hours apart, the third was twenty four hours later. My painting area is always heated and warm. Now after two weeks the clear coat looks beautiful, but it is not hard. It's very dry, but it can easily be dented by pressing on it with a toothpick. This is quite disappointing. Any ideas why? What did I do wrong. Anybody else had a similar problem?

Never mind guys. I found the problem!! My fault. It's the balsa I'm using. I didn't check it before, but it's way soft.  Even after sealing and priming the surface is flexible when poked with a nail. Dumb me!!

Do you need to stir the GST after putting it in little jars as I still notice on some baits even after 4 or so weeks if I leave on the counter they are stuck just a tad to the counter top not sticky to touch and thinking maybe that's why they stick any ideas?

I have noticed that after about 3 weeks the smell is gone. This is just the degassing process. I avoid putting them in the tackle box until then. Yes, they will stick to things if you don't continue to hang them for 3-4 weeks. I avoid putting any hooks etc on them until they're done curing as well. Also, it's a good idea to not touch them without gloves on during this period. I think Solarez or Epoxy is a better solution if you're in a hurry but for me with a long winter to work with, it's not an issue.

Also, I have had my GST coated lures react with soft plastics. The soft plastics kind of weld themselves to the lure. Nothing that can't be cleaned up, just a bit irritating. If I were selling, I think I'd have to consider another top coat.

I have noticed that after about 3 weeks the smell is gone. This is just the degassing process. I avoid putting them in the tackle box until then. Yes, they will stick to things if you don't continue to hang them for 3-4 weeks. I avoid putting any hooks etc on them until they're done curing as well. Also, it's a good idea to not touch them without gloves on during this period. I think Solarez or Epoxy is a better solution if you're in a hurry but for me with a long winter to work with, it's not an issue.

Also, I have had my GST coated lures react with soft plastics. The soft plastics kind of weld themselves to the lure. Nothing that can't be cleaned up, just a bit irritating. If I were selling, I think I'd have to consider another top coat.

Sounds like you could put some on the keeper of a spinnerbait or a jig, and the trailer might stay up better.

Does it stay sticky to soft plastics, or is it just a one time deal?

Sounds like you could put some on the keeper of a spinnerbait or a jig, and the trailer might stay up better.

Does it stay sticky to soft plastics, or is it just a one time deal?

Mark,

Not sure. I just took the soft plastic off and stored the lure without it. But yeah, I guess that would help keep the plastic seated. I'm not sure if it would affect the top coat after time.