DaveG

Getting Etex Thicker

Just wondering if its possible to get Etex to go on thicker to prevent sag by possibly letting it stand a while say 20-30 mins before applying? I know I could just experiment but thought I would ask in case there`s a trick im missing,

thanks Dave

That will help, but it will still flow for up to two hours, in my experience.  Another thing that will help, is to use multiple thin coats.  I use a drying wheel.  This gives it a chance to level, and prevents sags/runs.  You can also hang your baits, and turn by hand.  You'll have to turn them often for the first hour or so.

That will help, but it will still flow for up to two hours, in my experience.  Another thing that will help, is to use multiple thin coats.  I use a drying wheel.  This gives it a chance to level, and prevents sags/runs.  You can also hang your baits, and turn by hand.  You'll have to turn them often for the first hour or so.

Im using a drying wheel but still got sag probably because I put too much on, I suppose Im asking for something that doesent exist and patience isnt my best strong point.

Yeah, you may want to use a bit less.  Here's what works for me... Thoroughly mix Etex, Let stand 10 minutes, brush on heavy coat, use end-to-end strokes to completely cover and remove excess (at this point, if the bait has a heavy coat, and so does your brush, wipe the excess off your brush), place on 9 RPM wheel by clamping the bill (bait is perpendicular to axis of rotation).

I've heard of a guy that puts the Etex on immediately, hangs, and lets a bit of the excess drip off the tail before putting on the wheel.  If you are using way too much, that could help.  The only sagging issues I've ever had was with turning off my wheel too soon, and I feel like I use a lot.  One more thing.  If you are doing flat sided baits, they are far more susceptible to sagging problems.  If that's the case, just be careful to use less.  After fully cured, sand out the sags, wipe with alcohol, and re-coat.

Waiting will allow it to thicken a bit and will also cause it to dissipate the static charge it gets when you stir it. That static charge acts like a magnet for any dust in the air, so it's probably more important than the question of viscosity.

I usually wait no more that about 10 to 12 minutes or so, checking it as I wait.

There are some phases of building you can rush or shortcut, but generally, applying a nice clear coat is not one of them. Patience and a decent turning wheel are key ingredients.

Since I knew I was going to put at least 2 coats on my lures, and I coated them on my Ferris wheel turner, I would mix my Etex, use a hair dryer below my Solo mixing cup to get the air bubbles to burst, let it sit for ten minutes, and then brush it on as thin as it would lay on, and still cover everything.  I'd check it for the first 15 minutes after it was on the turner, to see if there were sags or dry spots, and then I'd let it turn for 8 hours, after which I'd apply the second coat.

Trying to put on one thick coat is asking for problems.  It is designed to self level on whatever flat surface it's applied to, so it will sag if you put on one thick coat.

If you apply it in a colder environment it will go on thicker and sag less. My basement must be 62-64 degrees. It does take longer to cure though.I actually warm mine a bit in front of a space heater before mixing plus I let it sit for 5 minutes exhaling on it a few which pops the bubbles.

I like to mix my etex in the bottom of a beer can ( or your beverage of choice )turned upside down. I clean it with denatured alcohol before mixing. Let it sit for about a minute to let the larger bubbles rise to the surface. Then give it a couple of good breaths to pop them and start brushing. I use the cheap disposable brushes from Walmart . Also, I like to be close to a window so while I'm brushing I can rotate the bait using the glare from the window to see that I'm getting even coverage. Immediately give it several breaths all around to breakup the smaller bubbles created from brushing and put it on the turning wheel. I do batches of baits of about 10 baits. I can do about 6 baits before it starts to thicken up. I stop at this point and mix another batch in a different can bottom. This method helps me get thin even coats, multiple baits, and the thinner the epoxy the easier it is to get the bubbles to pop when blowing on them. Let them turn overnight or 10 to 12 hours depending on the temp , then do a second coat. I build flat sided baits about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. I know this goes against the grain with what others are doing but this is what works for me. John