Lund1900

Heating Jigs, Heat Gun

I see I am in the minority here. I use a heat gun. However I have a digital one. I set mine on Low 850 degrees (your high may be my low temp) don't know. Reason being is that in reality you can melt the lead with a heat gun if you keep the jig there too long. I also do a lot of multi-color, and if you use high heat you will burn the paint. There really is no right or wrong answer, depends on what works for you. Also on low heat start out with a count of 15 seconds on a 1/4 oz jig. If the powder paint doesn't gloss over, than add another 5 seconds. Do this until you get the gloss over and start there. What you don't want to do is make the jig so hot, that it will grab too much paint, and if this happens, you will get tear drop looking jigs from too much paint on the jig. The only way to learn this is trial and error. You have to practice this to get it right. Also some paints like green pumpkin need a hotter jig head and longer heat time. Finally some guys don't like the jig to gloss over and instead have a powdery look. I personally like my jig to gloss over. This way I can see if the jig has full coverage.

Edited by cadman

I Use my adjustable Ryobi heat gun and I really like it.

I like to dial it in so the heat is in the 400*-500* range. That way I lessen the risk of melting small jigs. And yes I have had that happen before.

Saving a few seconds here or there doesn't matter to me if I accidently melt one or burn the paint occasionaly as I feel it is a wash timewise when that happens.

All my bigger stuff gets heated in my toaster oven then dipped and/or sprayed with powder.

I heat mine in a toaster oven and I use the heat gun just for a second to replace the lost heat from opening the toaster oven door repeatedly.  Because I do it that way my heat gun is on the highest temperature setting with the blower on low.  Below is a picture of a stand I made for my heat gun.  It just prevents any lead or paint from falling into the heat gun when in a vertical position.  2 pieces of wood, aluminum flashing, 1/2 inch aluminum flat pieces to hold down the flashing, and some zip ties to hold the gun in place.  Quick, easy, and it will prolong the life of your heat gun.

heatgun.JPG

heatgun.JPG

heatgun.JPG

heatgun.JPG

heatgun.JPG

heatgun.JPG

heatgun.JPG

heatgun.JPG

post-16753-0-95185200-1395451611_thumb.jpg

I heat mine in a toaster oven and I use the heat gun just for a second to replace the lost heat from opening the toaster oven door repeatedly.  Because I do it that way my heat gun is on the highest temperature setting with the blower on low.  Below is a picture of a stand I made for my heat gun.  It just prevents any lead or paint from falling into the heat gun when in a vertical position.  2 pieces of wood, aluminum flashing, 1/2 inch aluminum flat pieces to hold down the flashing, and some zip ties to hold the gun in place.  Quick, easy, and it will prolong the life of your heat gun.

attachicon.gifheatgun.JPG

I like the looks of your mount. Unfortunately the temperature adjustment dial on my Ryobi is on the back so I can't mount mine the same way.

I would have to have a way to access the dial and read the lights to see where I have my temp set at and to adjust it.

I suppose i could just set it and forget it when doing most jigs then remove it for different applications. Might even be able to mount it differently Hmmmmm.....

Not you got me thinking.

I don't know what I was thinking but after making some jigs last week I realized my adjustment is on the top.

I am definetly making one of these gun mounts. Thanks for the post and the pics.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

At what temp do you heat your jigs in the toaster oven and for how long?

I use my heat gun set on high with teflon pins. Its a timing thing as to how long you you leave your jig in the heat. I count to about 15 for 1/4 oz. jig and all the way up to 30 on 1/2 oz jigs. Keep in mind that all lead is not the same. Some takes more heat !!!! When you have dipped the base coat you just want the jig hot enough to hold a light dusting of powder on your jig. Then put it in the heat to make it cream over real nice and glossy and smooth. Then if your going to use just one color like all black you then dip it in right after the jig has glossed to your liking. When you pull the jig out after this coating you can put it back into the heat to gloss this coat over. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT..... At this time when the jig is still hot from setting the gloss is when you want to remove the pinn. DON'T JUST PULL ON TEFLON PIN.. Twist it in place( about one complete turn), this only takes a blink of the eye to do, and then pull out. It leaves a very nice smooth hole for your fieber weed guard to be put in after heat setting your jig for hardness. This is how I've down thousands of these things. Have fun. STEVE