Kasilofchrisn

How To Foil A Jig Like This?

I found this video awhile ago as well. This might be another way to do the foil.

It appears he paints the foil with foil binder heat sets it then applies it to his lure.

I suppose this method might work well for jigs as well. It will be awhile before I can test it out but maybe in a couple of weeks I can get to experimenting again.

You know Mark I think it really is that easy.

I am thinking his method of coating and heating the foil then applying it is something I am definetly going to try.

I also like how he was able to coat 100% of the lure by this method. I am definetly going to try that as well.

Painting the seams works fine for me but I think getting the jig 100% foiled will be a better look.

I will most likely still use my carpet lined vice method first them do the seams afterward.        

I think you need to order some foil and binder Mark. Then you can show off your foiled creations.                                           

I am thinking his method of coating and heating the foil then applying it is something I am definetly going to try.

I also like how he was able to coat 100% of the lure by this method. I am definetly going to try that as well.

Painting the seams works fine for me but I think getting the jig 100% foiled will be a better look.

I will most likely still use my carpet lined vice method first them do the seams afterward.        

I think you need to order some foil and binder Mark. Then you can show off your foiled creations.                                           

Well Chris (Kasilofchrisn) was kind enough to sell me some blanks of his spoons and I think I finally found a way to foil them that works

for me. I use 3M 77 spray adhesive and spray a light coat of glue on the spoon then heat it with a heat gun until the glue is tacky. I have two kinds of foil I use , one is the kingsley foil off of ebay, the other is Jones Tones foil. Once the spoon is heated I put a strip of foil on both sides spoon and press with my fingers . I use my thumbnail to make sure I get the top and bottom edge. Then just peel it away. The hard part is the clear coat. I tried some spray can clears and I tried envirotex lite, they both wrinkled the foil. It was still reflective but not what I wanted, so I ordered a small bottle of dick nite mcu and I am pretty happy with the results. I am not sure how to post pics in my post but I uploaded a couple to the gallery. They are in the jig section. They dont show the different colors of the foil as good as holding them in your hand but they do look a lot better than the pics show. I hope this helps some of you guys that are trying this.

Chris,

I'm still using my Brite Bak foil.  I do a belly strip, two side strips, and then a top strip, burnishing the edges before I apply the next strip.  It's plenty good for what I need.

I don't do jigs, I mainly do cranks, but I love learning from people like you.

Mark and Chris- Looking good! I know they look much different in person and is hard to capture in a picture. Makes me curious of how to get the best pic or accurate pic. I notice that the one pic of Chris's that looks like it was taken outside(natural light) does not show any of the colors of his first pics that look like they are inside. Mark yours shows more of the color and curious how well they would show up if you take the picture in really low light or in the dark with flash of coarse. Not sure but might show up better if there is no natural light involved. Just a thought!

I think the best way to get a good look at one of these is to make one.

What matters most to me is what the fish think of the jig.

If the fish like it then thats all that really counts right?

Like I said they are hard to photograph. I did take one pic outside and it shows that these are really reflective jigs. Thats the point of these is to have as shiney and reflective of a jig as possible and in my poinion this method achives that.

Basman did a nice job on the jigs I sent him. hopefully others wil try this technique as well.

Nice baits Mark!

When I get home from work this time i'm going to try a bunch of different things.

I am even thinking of trying to foil a round head jig just to prove it can be done and to see what it looks like.

Although the foil does cost me a little bit more for the supplies I can see a lot of applications for this technique. I can also see a lot of combos of foil and paint or foil and powder paint.

Since I already have the foil and other supplies to make a few hundred jigs I am going to keep playing around with this technique.

A lot of people who see these proto types really really like the look and I am getting a lot of positive responses on them.

Nice baits Mark!

When I get home from work this time i'm going to try a bunch of different things.

I am even thinking of trying to foil a round head jig just to prove it can be done and to see what it looks like.

Although the foil does cost me a little bit more for the supplies I can see a lot of applications for this technique. I can also see a lot of combos of foil and paint or foil and powder paint.

Since I already have the foil and other supplies to make a few hundred jigs I am going to keep playing around with this technique.

A lot of people who see these proto types really really like the look and I am getting a lot of positive responses on them.

You should!  You've come up with a great bait!

I dunno if I got the wrong stuff or what, but I'm having issues with it. I used a spray adhesive and put it put my rattle bait on then pushed with a rag and back of a marker to smooth out. Problem is it doesn't peel off like yours did leaving a clear transfer. It all comes off when I peel it up. Help!!!

I dunno if I got the wrong stuff or what, but I'm having issues with it. I used a spray adhesive and put it put my rattle bait on then pushed with a rag and back of a marker to smooth out. Problem is it doesn't peel off like yours did leaving a clear transfer. It all comes off when I peel it up. Help!!!

You need really sticky glue and have to let it get tacky first or heat it up with a heat gun to to speed it up. I like to heat it up and put the foil on right after. It seems to transfer better a little warm.

The adhesive I am using is made for foil.

I don't know what adhesive you have tried but if you watch the video I posted it appears he uses a similiar adhesive as I do but his application method is different.

I'm guessing your adhesive isn't the kind that will work with foil. Or as Basman stated needs to be heated to work.

I don't know what adhesive you have tried but if you watch the video I posted it appears he uses a similiar adhesive as I do but his application method is different.

I'm guessing your adhesive isn't the kind that will work with foil. Or as Basman stated needs to be heated to work.

who is the seller on ebay you get the foil and where do you get the adhesive?

who is the seller on ebay you get the foil and where do you get the adhesive?

This is who I get the foil from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINGSLEY-HOWARD-HOT-STAMP-STAMPING-MACHINE-SEAMLESS-HOLOGRAPHIC-FOIL-3-ROLLS-/290766938975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b30f635f

As for the adhesive the picture has their website listed on the label.

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=silkscreeningsupplies.com&utm_content=silkscreeningsupplies.com&utm_campaign=Brand+SSS

These are the two I used for lead slab jigs. I pretty much posted my whole process and what worked for me to make these.

So I don't know what else to tell you. Especially since I don't know if you have the same foil or the same adhesive I have or what your applying it to.

Hope this helps.

Yes I'm using the same foil. I have not heated it. That may be the issue. Maybe hearing it up will help the clear come off and leave the glued foil behind. Thanks for the help.

As far as adhesive I've just been using Elmer's spray adhesive. It's pretty tacky after about 30 seconds to a minute.

Matt

Edited by PondBoss

Yes I'm using the same foil. I have not heated it. That may be the issue. Maybe hearing it up will help the clear come off and leave the glued foil behind. Thanks for the help.

As far as adhesive I've just been using Elmer's spray adhesive. It's pretty tacky after about 30 seconds to a minute.

Matt

Hmm... I have no experience with that adhesive.

The adhesive I am using is made for Foil and says so right on the label.

You might try getting some Foil adhesive and try that. I know it worked for me. But thats the only product I have tried.

Thanks for the sources.  It would be nice if they have a color selection guide for those holographic foils.  What are some good patterns?  Tried to google search for some neon colors foils, like chartruse, neon pink, neon blue, neon orange, didn't seem to find. Anyone have a source?

I have a heat transfer press.  You are right.  It is flat and heated only on one side.  Once I get some foil, I will

try it.  Think I need to get something soft than will conform to the jig and transfer heat from the press.  Maybe 

silicone.

Go on ebay and search "nail art transfer foil" its easier to work with and lots more colors.