Fishhead15

Clear Coat For Swimbaits

I have been trying to find a product to use for clearcoating swimbaits, in particular the BBZ 1 tail section.  I spoke to a couple people at solarez and they told me to try the flex fly tie resin.  I went to buy the PE gloss resin awhile back and they were nice enough to give me a handful of sample tubes.

http://solarez.com/productsnew/fly_tie_uv_resin.html

I have tried to clear a bbz jr that I repainted with the flex resin twice with mixed results.

the first attempt bubbled up and peeled easily, it never sealed around the end of the tail.  I tried a second coat and that looked awful.  I was able to peel the entire coating off and tried a second time.  luckily the paint didn't go with it...

The second attempt looked much better, but the next day it had started to bubble up again, and I am sure if I try I will be able to peel it all off again.

I should add that the second time, I sprayed some rattle can clear gloss on first hoping the resin would adhere to that.

The flex resin has cured nicely on the hard portion of the bait, but won't adhere to the soft tail section.

does anybody have experience with this product?  or can recommend something else for clearcoating soft swimbaits?  do I need to put this in the softbait section?

thanks

eric

Edited by Fishhead15

Mike Faupal of Alumilite is working on a UV clear with Larry Dahlberg.  I got a sample of it a couple of weeks ago and this stuff is awesome, but not for sale yet.  I clear coated bare metal and it would not peel or chip off.  I have clear coated several other baits made from resin and the same results.

I used some of the Solar Res Polyester used for UV cure on surf boards, and it is pretty good, but not the golden bullet we were looking for. http://solarez.com/productsnew/lowvocpint.html

Otherwise, you can use Devoncon 2 Ton, a lure turning device, and go old school.  It does still work and will give you excellent results, but it takes a lure turner and 24 hours.

Hope this helps some.

Edited by Anglinarcher

thanks for your input.  i have been using devcon, but wanted to keep the flexibility of the soft tail.  I will keep an eye out for the alumilite product.  I like the polyester gloss resin from solarez, I used it on a couple baits and 2 reels that i repainted with good results.  I was hoping the flex resin would be good too.  the only thing about the solarez is the smell, after a couple weeks in a tackle box that chemical smell is still overpowering...

I think the tail section probably is plastisol, it is some sort of durable soft plastic.  i ll check the ispike-it out too. 

I will try and contact solarez too, they have been pretty helpful so far with my other questions.  I know they are more geared towards surfboard repair, but we'll see

Eric