stephen snider

Suspending Lures Sinking

When I started painting those Little John blanks, I foiled them and coated with Etex. They would sink ever so slightly.....like an inch per second. I started dipping them in urethane to stop the sinking. I wanted them to float. Since then the only complaints I've had from people who bought them was that they didn't sink anymore. I went back to the Etex.

Like someone noted...there is a fine line between sinking/suspending.

Saltshaker - where do you draw the line between suspending and sinker. There has to be a tolerance. An inch per second, I would call a successful suspender. Perfect even.

A suspender will only truly suspend at a specific depth, which varies from day to day, depending on temperature.

Dave

Urethane vs epoxy -  Urethane is much thinner than epoxy in single coats, however only moisture cured urethane (MCU) is as durable, and although it has lots of excellent performance features, it is also very difficult to store and then use in small batches without hardening in the container.  As to being lighter than epoxy, that's TBD unless someone does actual tests on both of them.  You can't judge by just the thickness of the coating.  Epoxy weighs only 1.1 x water.  On a bass bait the size of a Little John, I would estimate the weight of all the finish including a Devcon Two Ton epoxy topcoat at around 2.5 hundredths of an ounce.  Doesn't sound like much, does it?

Mark,

I've heard you speak of using nail polish as a top coat..does anybody know what nail Polish is ?..Nathan

That question used to come up often in my family, since my mother's side came from a town that went from Russian to Polish, and then back again, quite often.

The general consensus was it was a nail with no head.