ACbassin

Appropriate Air Compressor?

Hey everybody,

I'm really thinking about getting into painting Crankbaits as I need a new hobby...

I know I need a airbrush, and will pick up an Iwata Revolution. I also know that I need an air compressor. Well today I was pulling the car into the garage when I found an older air compressor setting in the corner of the garage. I was wondering if this model would suffice for what I want it to do.

It's a Jetstream, and that's about all I know. I didn't really have a whole lot of time to look it over, and I'm pretty ignorant to air compressors in general.

05D6F3ED-F859-4F26-8060-142E9D1B08C4-233

Welcome to TU ACbassin.

That compressor should work fine. Just remember that you need a moisture trap to remove any condensation from the compressed air. The act of compressing air heats up the air and as it cools between the compressor and your airbrush moisture can form. This moisture is not conducive to a good paint job. You'll also want to mount the moisture trap close to your airbrush since condensation can form in the air hose if your using a long hose.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

Ben

the top components look similar to my Husky brand one at home. Yours has adjustable air and pressure gauges but you will need a water trap. i've yet to get a water trap on mine but thats on the top of my priority list. check to make sure everything is in good shape before you go out an buy your airbrush.

That question could be answered with either a yes or a no. You could use a compressor that is capable of creating hundreds of pounds of pressure as long as the regulator, and other components, are compatible with the compressor, but why would you want to when all you will need to airbrush is one that is capable of maintaining an air pressure of a max of 40 to 50 psi. Not to mention that a compressor that's capable of higher pressures is going to cost way more.

Most of the guys here at TU use a maximum of 40 psi. And that's using paint straight out of the bottle that hasn't been thinned. I thin my paints and rarely use over 20 psi. All you really need is a compressor that will maintain a steady pressure with the speed at which you use the compressed air. The compressor you posted in the picture looks to me to have about a 1 to 1 1/2 gallon reservoir and should service any needs you might have. As you become more proficient with the airbrush you might decide this is something you'd like to do as a source of income. By that time you will have gained enough knowledge to know whether or not you need a larger compressor.

Ben

There's no such thing as having too powerful a compressor, or one with too much air storage capacity - as long as it has an air valve that can reduce the pressure to that recommended for your airbrush.  I run a 135 psi 6 gallon compressor and dial it down to 20-45 psi for painting.  The higher the pressure it will develop and the bigger the tank, the longer you can paint before the compressor turns on again to air up.

I think Iwata calls for a max pressure of 45 or 50 psi.  At some point, I assume over-pressure could damage the air valve in the airbrush.  But in practical terms, you'll never need to shoot anything at more than max pressure through an Iwata anyway, so it's sort of academic. 

Edited by BobP

I use the same compressor you'll be fine, again as said get a water trap for the compressor and if you can afford it get a pistol grip filter for your brush. it is best if possible to locate your trap some distance from your compressor to allow the air temp to lower as water can bypass the trap if to close at least that's the recommendation for shop compressors and painting cars I've yet to have a problem with mine so I guess the best way is to try it first and if you experience water issues then move it accordingly as your enviroment also plays a role here.

I use a compressor that is almost identical to yours.  Mine is a 3 gallon, from Harbor Freight.  You may be surprised how little it has to run to supply your airbrush.  I use Createx and Wicked acrylics, as most here do.  I do reduce most of my paints a bit.  That's not a real scientific ratio, but you'll learn what viscosity works best for you.  I typically spray at 30 psi.  It's another topic, but you may also find yourself using much lower pressures at times to achieve stippling effects.  I also have the moisture trap, as recommended.  I've never found moisture in it, but it could save a lot of frustration some day.

When you start getting into paint viscosity and psi thats where it gets to what works best for you. I use mainly the createx colors but ocasionaly, if I cant find the color i need I will get cheap acrylic paint and thin it down with isopropyl alcohol to my desired viscosity. It saves a little money too. 

That question could be answered with either a yes or a no. You could use a compressor that is capable of creating hundreds of pounds of pressure as long as the regulator, and other components, are compatible with the compressor, but why would you want to when all you will need to airbrush is one that is capable of maintaining an air pressure of a max of 40 to 50 psi. Not to mention that a compressor that's capable of higher pressures is going to cost way more.

I don't own an air brush, but if ALL I used an air compressor for was airbrushing I might still disagree.  Air compressors are like outboards.  Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  

I had a 20 gallon roll around for the last 20 years which I used for everything.  Sometimes running an impact I'ld have to wait for it to catch up.  Running an air drill the compressor would run continuously trying to catch up.  Forget running an air grinder for more than a minute.  I know none of those things are an air brush, but they should show the point.  Its what I had so I used it.  When I added air distribution lines to my work shop a few years back it became my "shop" compressor.  It worked mostly, but there were times when it was running continuously all day long.  Its not particularly loud as that class of air compressors go, but that continuous noise makes you tired.  After I added a spray mist system to my little mill, and plumbed air into my big mill for the lubrication system there were times when I could not do other things because it would take my air pressure down to far to fast.  I know not everybody does two or three things at once with their air compressor, but sometimes even one thing is too much for a decent small compressor to do for very long.  

Regulators are cheap these days.  

Most of the guys here at TU use a maximum of 40 psi. And that's using paint straight out of the bottle that hasn't been thinned. I thin my paints and rarely use over 20 psi. All you really need is a compressor that will maintain a steady pressure with the speed at which you use the compressed air. The compressor you posted in the picture looks to me to have about a 1 to 1 1/2 gallon reservoir and should service any needs you might have. As you become more proficient with the airbrush you might decide this is something you'd like to do as a source of income. By that time you will have gained enough knowledge to know whether or not you need a larger compressor.

Ben

Fire up that compressor and see if it builds pressure, and the noise it makes is steady and rythmic with no sharp noises.  Its probably plenty for running an air brush, although there have been a lot of cheap compressors in the smaller sizes made over the years that look good, but don't work like they look.  I actually have a smaller compressor than that in my service truck.  I don't need it much, but its awesome for setting a handful of pins or a couple finish nails when I have to tear off and replace the trim when some door hanger buries my wire inside the door jamb.  

I know roofers who get by with air compressors that don't look much different than that one, although they have better known names painted on them.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

I don't own an air brush, but if ALL I used an air compressor for was airbrushing I might still disagree.  Air compressors are like outboards.  Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  

The point I was trying to make Bob is that you can spend thousands of dollars on a compressor, but given what we use them for why would you need, or want to?  The OP said he didn't know a lot about compressors and I was just trying to give him a little background on what to look for.

Ben

The point I was trying to make Bob is that you can spend thousands of dollars on a compressor, but given what we use them for why would you need, or want to?  The OP said he didn't know a lot about compressors and I was just trying to give him a little background on what to look for.

Ben

Yeah, I know.  And the compressor he has is probably MORE than adequate to run an airbrush. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

I have the same compressor and it works fine for airbrushing I have a condensate trap at the end of a six foot airline that is connected to a regulator I have mounted to my workbench and also an inline condensate trap at my airbrush may be overkill but I had the material so I used it the compressor you have is actually a portercable which is a good brand about 100-$120 rig at Lowe's the last time I looked

I started out with a cheap Chinese 30 psi max airbrush compressor, moved up to a more expensive Badger airbrush compressor, and most recently to a Porter Cable 135 psi 6 gallon model.  As you move up to compressors with higher pressure and more air storage, you get spoiled because they provide a steadier air stream to your airbrush and run less often.  During an afternoon of painting, my 6 gal compressor might run once after initially airing up.  When it does, I take a short break because the noise is quite loud.  It fits handily under the workbench in my garage and it's nice to have it for other tasks like filling tires or using a nail gun.

The Porter Cable Jet Stream looks to be an identical older model of my compressor.  Porter Cable has a rep for high quality so count yourself lucky.

There are many tricks to get the moisture out , one of the best i have seen is to plumb the compressor into pvc that is mounted on the wall, the compressor air outlet is connected at a very low point so the compressed air must travel upward, at the top of the run a t is inserted and another length of pvc drops downs down with a small valve at the bottom, the compressed air now is attached somewhere off the drop piece with a conventional water separator and then to the brush...cheap and easy way of getting the moisture out and even works in central florida, keep in mind that the less the compressor has to run the less moisture you will get because the air has time to cool allowing it to condense well before it gets to the gun.