gonfishn

Hair Source?

I don't use Squirrel hair and bear hair got very expensive so I stick to bucktail, and for that I use a few sources but the cheapest price I found on them is from a place called grandpa bobs custom jigs, the only problem is his price is really cheap and you end up having to wait for your order. For a green pumpkin try looking for dark olive, that works really well with green pumpkin heads.

Do you have a piece or jig tied with the color - there are a bunch of shades of olive/green that could meet what your looking for. 

Look at craft fur, companies with cross-cut zonker strips they work really well with small jigs.  Black, brown or grizzly is real nice to tie with but can be hard to get unless you get a few guys to go in on it.  My local shop has black bear and every time I'm there I get some, but I imagine it would be tough to dye as you'd have to lighten it first. 

IF and that's a big IF, I could learn to dye materials I'd do some pieces of the polar bear I have, and it's really sweet to tie with. 

Do you have a piece or jig tied with the color - there are a bunch of shades of olive/green that could meet what your looking for. 

Look at craft fur, companies with cross-cut zonker strips they work really well with small jigs.  Black, brown or grizzly is real nice to tie with but can be hard to get unless you get a few guys to go in on it.  My local shop has black bear and every time I'm there I get some, but I imagine it would be tough to dye as you'd have to lighten it first. 

IF and that's a big IF, I could learn to dye materials I'd do some pieces of the polar bear I have, and it's really sweet to tie with. 

I dye hundreds of tails a year. It's really not hard. Big thing I had to figure out because no one posted this info was......a non reactive pan.  I use a good acid dye also, not kool-aid.

As far as the original posters question, if you can find someone to dye for you....find where hunters, butcher shops and trappers take their furs. I have a guy I that I can get just about any fur from, and huge bucktails de-boned and washed for .90 a tail. Other saltwater tyers would kill for the tails I get.   I have 2 skunk pelts right now I play around with for small jigs.