ChilliSpoons

Rattle Can Base

I know that thin coats are the answer for laying down paint but I find multiple thin coats with my airbrush to be very tedious.

The plugs that I paint are used plugs that I lightly sand prior to laying down my base.

I was hoping that I could use a product like Krylon or Tremclad as a base. I use AutoAir and Createx paints followed by concrete sealer for my clear. I thoroughly heat set between coats but I'm curios if the rattle can base would react negatively with these other products.

Any thoughts?

I build custom balsa plugs.  after I seal the wood with superglue I'll use rattle can white primer/sealer. In fact I'll use my of my base color with rattle can, normally flat or a low satin.  I noted the Ctex pain will still stick to it as well.  then I'll use the airbrush for details.  I hate cleaning out my airbrush. I'm too impatient.  this works really well for me. I also use ACC for topcoat

I ran out of create white one day and looked over to the side and there was a can of .99 walmart white spray paint- what the heck lets give it a try- worked great--just takes a little longer to dry-  I have used d2t and mcu as a clear on it and it worked good for me-

mike  <::><

I wouldn't say that cleaning the airbrush is my favorite thing to do but it is all part of this hobby. But I do find the task of laying down multiple layers of a white base to be tedious and I wanted a shortcut.

I have experimented with some spoons that we're previously painted and then clear coated with Rattle Can clears by dipping them in my concrete sealer. There wasn't any wrinkling or lifting of the paint which surprised me. Maybe the properties of my concrete sealer are somewhat different than GST concrete sealer commonly used on this forum.

Let the experimentation continue ;)

Here is my cleaning process on my Paasche Talon:

Using Auto-Air or Createx Wicked paints

Between Color changes:

-Rinse the bowl thoroughly with warm water

-Spray water through the airbrush and backflush the bowl numerous times until clean

-Sometimes I'll spray some Isopropyl Alcohol through which seems to clear things out really well.

At the end of the painting session:

Same as above except:

-Use some Fantastic in the bowl and allow to soak for a couple of minutes

-Spray the Fantastic through the airbrush

-Disassemble the airbrush and wipe the needle clean

-Clean the tip with denture toothpicks

Thanks Chilli. I was just wondering if there was something we might be able to do to help speed up the cleaning process, but if you've got a system that's working for you then I wouldn't mess with it.

Ben

Ben,

Lately the fails I've had painting have been when my eclipse starts spattering. It seems like I have to "pump" the airbrush to get any color to come out and when it does, it spatters at first. Now I do clean between colors but it still seems that this happens too often. I'm wondering if I need to give it a bath in acetone again. 

Ben,

Lately the fails I've had painting have been when my eclipse starts spattering. It seems like I have to "pump" the airbrush to get any color to come out and when it does, it spatters at first. Now I do clean between colors but it still seems that this happens too often. I'm wondering if I need to give it a bath in acetone again. 

It's possible you could have some dried gunk in your airbrush and it may be that you need to thin your paint a little or even turn up the air pressure. You may need to strain your paint as well because even tiny clumps can cause your brush to spatter. As far as making sure your airbrush is clean I like to soak mine in Createx Airbrush Restorer a couple times a year or whenever the need arises. My personal preferences as far as paint and air pressure is to thin the paint so that it can be sprayed at pressures as low as 5 psi. And that's why I'm a bit of a fanatic about keeping my airbrush clean. I can promise you that's not possible with paint that hasn't been thinned or with a dirty airbrush.

As far as cleaning between color changes a lot depends on the paint being sprayed as to how I clean it. For paints with lots of pigment in them, such as white, I first clean the bowl thoroughly with water and then dump that water out of the bowl without spraying it. If the bowl doesn't come completely clean I repeat the process. When the bowl is clean I back flush with water alternating between back flushing and spraying. With colors like white I then run a bowl of acetone through the brush back flushing as I do so.

For a lot of colors you can skip the acetone. Most transparent paints and pearl paints (the ones I use anyway) are easily cleaned with just water. You'll be able to tell which colors you can clean with water and which ones need a shot of acetone once you start paying attention to that part of it. (not saying you don't do that already) Reading this may make you think that's an awful lot of steps and will take a lot of time, but once you do it a few times, and know what to look for, it probably takes me less than a minute to make sure my brush is clean. For me it's much easier and faster to keep a brush clean than it is to deal with the problems you can run into when it's not.

The steps I go through are not carved in stone. No doubt others have a cleaning process that works for them and it may not even be close to what I do. This is just what works for me.

Ben

It's possible you could have some dried gunk in your airbrush and it may be that you need to thin your paint a little or even turn up the air pressure. You may need to strain your paint as well because even tiny clumps can cause your brush to spatter. As far as making sure your airbrush is clean I like to soak mine in Createx Airbrush Restorer a couple times a year or whenever the need arises. My personal preferences as far as paint and air pressure is to thin the paint so that it can be sprayed at pressures as low as 5 psi. And that's why I'm a bit of a fanatic about keeping my airbrush clean. I can promise you that's not possible with paint that hasn't been thinned or with a dirty airbrush.

As far as cleaning between color changes a lot depends on the paint being sprayed as to how I clean it. For paints with lots of pigment in them, such as white, I first clean the bowl thoroughly with water and then dump that water out of the bowl without spraying it. If the bowl doesn't come completely clean I repeat the process. When the bowl is clean I back flush with water alternating between back flushing and spraying. With colors like white I then run a bowl of acetone through the brush back flushing as I do so.

For a lot of colors you can skip the acetone. Most transparent paints and pearl paints (the ones I use anyway) are easily cleaned with just water. You'll be able to tell which colors you can clean with water and which ones need a shot of acetone once you start paying attention to that part of it. (not saying you don't do that already) Reading this may make you think that's an awful lot of steps and will take a lot of time, but once you do it a few times, and know what to look for, it probably takes me less than a minute to make sure my brush is clean. For me it's much easier and faster to keep a brush clean than it is to deal with the problems you can run into when it's not.

The steps I go through are not carved in stone. No doubt others have a cleaning process that works for them and it may not even be close to what I do. This is just what works for me.

Ben

I think we Hi-jacked this thread!!I appreciate the advise. I think I know the culprit now that I have been thinking about it. It seems that my paint bottles (createx) have gotten some dried gunk around the spout. Also, I got a wicked color and it seems to be the one that clogs things up. Yes, I shake them up first but I don't strain them. I think it's time to ask the wife to borrow her nylons.

Edited by FrogAddict

No Apologies needed.  :yay:

I'm a newbie and struggle with consistency when laying down paint and find some of the comments may be related to some of those issues. When mixing paint it seems like "Thin to Win" is the trick and trying a rattle can base may not worth the risk when top coating with a concrete sealer. I'll continue to spray numerous layers of a white base to save possible negative paint reactions.