Bassmanpat901

What's Up Y'all.... New Guy Quistion

I still sitting here wondering why it took me so long to join this site..... Lol. Pretty much every quistion I've had has been answered just by looking through old posts! Y'all are awesome at what you do! Very inspiring! I have 7 old All Star Titanium rods that I have completely stripped and sanded.... Are they worth rebuilding on? I loved them back in the day, but I'm not 100% sue I haven't messed up the integrity of the blank. Any advise is welcome..... And other rod blank suggestions also. And one more thing before I go, how do I hide all these new expenses from my wife? Lol. Thanks for reading guys!

Don't think you hurt the rod any unless you took off a lot in the sanding process . A coat of epoxy should put back any loss and add strength . Try not to bend the rods sharply until you've done the coating . If a splinter starts that can turn ugly quick . Hiding things from women is almost impossible . They smell the fear . !!!!

Thanks man..... I think I did good. I'm also was wondering if I could just go bare blank? My thought is that it takes some weight out of the rod.... ? I loved these rods, loved all star period up until the buy out. I've always been a shimano reel man so I started using there rods when the cumaras came out.... But they just seem so tip heavy for me. Thank you for the response.... I'll keep you updated.

No need to coat the blank with anything. All should be good if you just removed the clear coat from the blank. If you sanded into the graphite any it could cause a weak spot that even a clear coat won't help. If you do want to replace the clear coat, look into using permagloss or lumiseal. Both are urethane based and very thin.

all in all build it and break it and get your first rod off with out spending alot of money then check out Batson enterprises they have great products at great prices and they are always available to talk to on the phone if you have any questions. Call and talk to any of there tecs they are great wealth of knowledge and always looking to help...

I often sand down a rod blank to raw graphite when reconfiguring a rod, either to just remove what I consider "non-functional" heavy finish to lighten up the blank, or to hide where I took off the old guides.  I never re-coat them with rod finish.  I have 5-6 rods like this that I've used for a decade and have never had a blank failure.  Rod blanks are very tough and they get sanded at the factory before they add finish anyway.

Edited by BobP