Bassin901

Feeling Lost..

Why is it that everytime I pick up my airbrush to paint, I always feel like I'm getting worse? My last two that I did just didn't work to well. I had a vision of what I wanted, but in the end it was a disaster. Is this how frustrating it gets when trying to start out at this. I got  a quality airbrush and quality paint, but the results doesn't satisfy me. Is it all trial and error? I mean the baits are fishable but not quite what I want. Please help. Thanks in advance. I was just feeling lost in this.

Your not the only one this happens too. I'm the same way about being able to see in my mind what the paint job should look like, but when it comes to actually painting the bait it just doesn't end up like what's in my mind. I've come to accept the fact that I'll never be a true artist with an airbrush. That doesn't mean you can't paint baits that will catch fish. By choosing simpler patterns, and learning a few tricks, such as using templates, you can paint lures that will catch fish as well as anybodies. One of the easiest patterns to paint is a chartreuse with black back and it's also one of the best patterns for catching fish when they're shallow. Another pattern that's fairly easy to paint is a Tennessee Shad and it's a time proven fish catcher as well. Another thing that will happen as you learn to paint the simpler patterns is that you'll start to see an improvement in your airbrushing skills.

One thing that helped me is to thin my paint so I could use less air pressure while also spraying less paint. I finally learned that multiple thin coats allowed me to "sneak up on" what I was trying to do. It's easy to add paint, but it's all but impossible to take some off without completely starting over.

Another thing is that you can't practice too much. If your baits aren't turning out like you want try getting some different sizes of PVC pipe and practicing on that. It can be sprayed with paint and cleaned endlessly and since it's round you'll learn how to spray on contours. By practicing on something other than your baits you won't get frustrated as quickly either. And if you do get frustrated just clean your airbrush and walk away for a while. Very rarely does it help to keep going when your already aggravated.

The best advice I can give you is to hang in there and don't give up. So what if the lures you paint don't end up in a museum somewhere? That doesn't mean you can't paint baits well enough to catch a 25 pound sack.

Ben

• Like 1

Yes, we've all gone through that stage and still do when adding new tricks or techniques. Painting a crank bait for most of us is a learning curve.  There are a few out there that can pick it up and paint what they want when they want but they are rare. Airbrushing is no different than learning to play guitar, pitching a jig, or anything else that takes some skill to do. The longer you keep at it, the easier it will get and eventually some youngun will be looking at your baits and saying to himself" MAN! Those are awesome! I want to do that."  Just keep at it. Createx washes off. And goes right back on. Trust me. I'm no artist. I usually need a ruler and help to draw a straight line. But I figured out how to paint my own cranks and they catch fish and you will too.

I appreciate that Ben. I guess everyone new to painting cranks get frustrated then. I don't expect to have my cranks showcased but would like it to be presentable. I guess at this point, practicing is my biggest friend. I won't give up though. I still have a long way to go.

When I look at baits I painted 10 yrs ago, I'm appalled and wouldn't even consider giving them away to a friend lest he laugh at me.  5 yrs ago, I'm embarrassed.  1 yr ago, I'm just disappointed.  Last week, I'm thinking it's not so bad but could stand improvement.  If I paint baits 10 yrs from now, I'll probably be appalled at what I painted last week.

But bass bit the crankbaits throughout the whole period.  We're a lot more critical than the bass are, thankfully.

• Like 1

Why is it that everytime I pick up my airbrush to paint, I always feel like I'm getting worse? My last two that I did just didn't work to well. I had a vision of what I wanted, but in the end it was a disaster. Is this how frustrating it gets when trying to start out at this. I got  a quality airbrush and quality paint, but the results doesn't satisfy me. Is it all trial and error? I mean the baits are fishable but not quite what I want. Please help. Thanks in advance. I was just feeling lost in this.

I can't tell you how many times I've brought baits to the kitchen sink to wash everything off and start over, so don't you feel like you're the Lone Ranger, it

happens to all of us, just keep painting.

Jerry

• Like 1

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you may not be totally to blame.  A very clean airbrush is a happy one.  Taking the time to keep your equipment in proper working order can save a lot of frustration.  If your paint is atomizing properly, it will layer much better.  Many times I find that I'm putting too much paint down, when I paint a dud.

Please don't mention a clean air brush . I loaned mine anybody want pics . Naw better not . I'd hate to see the kid hunted down like a chicken eating fox . LOL

Don't loan your brush . Unless your into pain ,agony and despair . Shortly followed by what very nearly resembles Turrets Syndrome .

I feel your pain brother, we've all been there, I'm very arty and thought airbrushing would be easy.. 

its not and takes practise, the thing that gets me is is that almost every colour even from the same brand behaves differently and requires different amounts of thinning and/or air pressure, as said keep it clean and practise.

I keep my airbrush fairly clean. I would clean the needle and cup between colors. After painting, I break it down and clean with acetone with plastic brushes for airbrushes and lube everything up. I think its all in my head because I just want my lures to look professional but keep forgetting that I picked this up seriously about 3 months ago. Well, practice makes perfect so I just got to keep trucking. I watch videos and do research about how to blend colors but haven't mastered that yet. Thanks for all the input.

Here's something else that I've learned. When your painting there is no such thing as too much light. Ideally you need light coming from several different directions so there are no shadows on the lure while your painting it. You'd be surprised at just how much difference there is in the appearance of a lure when even the slightest shadow is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Another thing that will help you place paint where you want it is to to get at such an angle that you can see the cone shaped mist of paint as it leaves the airbrush. And keep in mind that the farther your nozzle is from the lure the bigger that cone will be. This can be both a positive and negative thing depending on what your going for. I sometimes spray my baits with a pearl color to give it highlights. By having the nozzle too close you start getting a color change instead of highlights that sparkle in sunlight. For this technique it's best to hold the nozzle farther away.

Knowing exactly where the paint is being sprayed can also be critical when doing fades. (the gradual change from one color to another) You want the most paint where the color is darkest gradually getting lighter as it transitions into the next color. By being able to see the edge of the "cone" you know where to stop spraying. Fades are most easily done with transparent paints of course. (at least for me)

And don't be afraid to experiment with things. You will eventually find something that works for you.

good luck,

Ben

stay with it. if youknew how much I have ruined over the years you would stroke out.

every painter/lure maker has there days. I could heat a house with bad wood cuts or paint the Eiffel tower. .

after decades I still screw up.

but please remember ugly baits do catch fish. I have a few boxes of them

Hang in there. One thing that helped me is get a piece of illustrating board or foam board or something of that nature. Cut a stencil in the shape of a bait and practice your patterns. Good thing about doing this beside the practice is you can make notes beside them on your color recipes. Good luck!!!!!

John

• Like 1

I guess I am just being hard on myself. My biggest problem is that I just can't seem to get the paint consistency right. Sometimes too thick. Sometimes too thin. I just want to be able to get even spray. I guess its a work in progress on my behalf. I will not stop though. I enjoy it too much that sometimes I dream of painting more elaborate paint schemes. Funny how it gets me frustrated but yet I enjoy it.

I bought an expensive brush a few years ago. This was to team up with the spray booth that I built. I then decided that I prefer building and testing and so never even opened the box. So, what is my point!

I recognized the effort that would be required to reach the standard that I desired.

Well done for getting stuck in. Put the hours in and you will get to the place you want to be. Maybe I will join you there one day :)

Dave

Started airbrushing a few years ago and felt the same way you do got frustrated and put it down for about a year went back to my wire baits but in the end I couldn't let my investment just sit there so I picked it up again during the winter of the next year and got to a point where I could do decent basic patterns by the time spring rolled around put the brush down picked up my rods for the fishing season and forgot about it until cold weather set in picked the airbrush back up and had to start all over again it was like my hands forgot how to squeeze the trigger but once I messed up a few baits I was able to start laying a little paint down decent again hopefully my muscle memory doesn't repeat this pattern every year but if it does its still fun to do. Don't know if I'll ever be as good as half the artists on this site but figure as long as I'm learning something through the trial and error process then I'm not wasting time so as long as you can enjoy the process don't give up because sometimes the learning curve is just a little longer for some than others good luck

Bassin901.... Hang in there. Airbrushing is a tallent. Most folks can't do it a couple of times and be exceptional. But there are things that you can do to help yourself. The things that so many ask for on this site is what is cheap and what shortcuts do you have. Using quality paint and airbrushes will really help you achieve better results. Unless you are special, it will take work, dedication, and determination. You will have your share of failures and you will throw your share of baits at the wall and cuss them just like the rest of the guys on this site that are any good. You will NEVER quit making mistakes. Even though most of us enjoy it.... it is work. Lots of work and tallent is what produces a good result. But if you love the craft, you will get through it. You have to love it to be exceptional. Personally, I find that if you put a thick towel on the table in front of you while you are working it hurts less when you start banging your head. Good luck.

Skeeter

• Like 2