wallybangbang

Plastic Smell On Cured Worms.

What's up guys, new to the site and just started pouring a few months ago. Lots of good info on here. Pouring your own baits is like crack cocaine for fisherman! I have a question that I need some insight from experienced pourers on. I have only used the allumilite plastic so far. Ordered some other stuff but haven't got it yet. All of the worms I've poured have a strong plastic smell to them. I have used worm oil before and after pouring but the smell is pretty strong. Do all plastics smell that way? Or are some products better than others? What is yours guys take on scent as far as how much and when to add it to make the plastic smell go away? I know scent is not as important in bass fishing as movement and color but it a pretty strong smell. I opened up some store bought bags of worms and some smell like plastic and some don't. Is it even an issue that it smells like plastic? Any insight is appreciated

You will get many responses no doubt but here's my 2 ct . As the plastic cures the smell will go away usually after about two weeks in mine and as far as scent go I use anise or shad have had good luck with both grape is my personal favorite . I usually add scent when I bag them , some people cook it in the plastic . Welcome to the madness

I add some scent to the hot plastic before I pour, and it masks the plastic smell.  Then I add some more when I  bag them.

But I only pour for me, and my friends.  I don't know if this is practical for guys who sell.

I also noticed that heating the plastic much above 335, after the initial 350 kick off heating, seems to make it smell more, even though it isn't burnt.

Edited by mark poulson

Thanks mark, I've noticed that the re heats do smell a little more even when heated correctly and not burnt. I'm not selling just making for me and my buddys so I can definitely play around with things. Took the advice of curing on a stone and over a couple of weeks they smell less like plastic without any scent. Will be adding scent in the future though. Never been a huge believer in it for bass fishing but if it covers up the plastic smell and my scent what the hell, why not. Thanks everyone for all the insight.