Big Ray

How To Stop Gold Glitter From Bleeding?

I ordered some gold glitter from lurecraft and I added some to a worm I was

trying to make but I noticed that the gold glitter kind of bled into the plastic and

made it a yellow color. I am wondering if that ever happened to any of you guys

and if it did how do you prevent that.

Sounds like maybe you overheated the plastic?  Are you reheating much?  Does this happen on the first batch?  I don't remember ever having a problem with gold flake. 

You might try a couple things:

1)  Add some heat stabilizer to your plastic to keep it from burning

2)  Add the gold flake just before you pour instead of mixing in the beginning......assuming you are doing that

More molds is also another common answer.  If you have to keep reheating due to minimal molds, just about ANY flake will burn or curl over time

Holo flake, purple, some reds are the worst about bleeding for sure. The way I've learned to work around this is to know the temp of your plastic. I use cheap candy thermometers because its what my fiancé uses making candy and they work great. Another way to avoid it is to mix in your glitter right before you're ready to pour. If you use small quantity of plastic and enough molds you can use all that plastic in one heat so you don't have to worry about bleeding flake due to reheats. It's low tech, but after I heat up my plastic in the micro I place it on a towel so it doesn't lose heat to my table and it keeps the plastic warm enough that I can usually fill and refill my injector 2 or 3 times if I work fast enough. The more you practice and learn your equipment the more proficient and time efficient you'll become.

I have not have any problems bleeding except with some craft stuff i tried it melted. I agree with alsworms sounds like over heating just been thru this i was using a infra red thermometer it was reading correct until it got to 200F after that it would jump up and down  i bought a digital candy thermometer that goes up to 450F it takes a little longer to read but i tried it last night and it worked good no turning like i had with the other one. With the infra red my baits looked good with the first shot but the longer it set the yellower it got with no reheating.Last night i shot 10 molds and they stayed clear thru all 10 molds.the others i was having problems with u could see the difference with each shot and i not talking about each reheat. Cub48