Mr_Scrogg

Heavy Wire Hooks In Finesse Jig Mold

I use a fine file to open the hook slots until the heavier gauge or larger hooks work.  It doesn't take much.  

I did this to four of the seven cavities on the Do-It 1/4 and 3/8 oz football jig molds, so I can use 3/0 and 4/0 Mustad hooks.

I used a drill press with a sharp metal bit locked at the proper depth to mill out the hook eye area to fit the longer hook eye shank.

Edited by mark poulson

I love that mold, I have both the small one and the one you are talking about. What you want to do can be done but it will take some work with a drill and/or a dremel.  Go slow if you take this on but I do have a question, why do you want a heavy wire hook in that jig?  The reason I ask is I do well with all 3 sizes using the EC 2798 and the Owner 5326 cross-eye, they only make that in a 4/0 so I use the EC when I use a 3/0.  I use 16lb Triple Fish Camoescent copolymer when in moderate cover and 12lb Berkley big game around boat docks and sparse cover and never had a bent hook or lost fish due to hook flex. My buddy uses 20lb braid with a 14lb fluorocarbon leader and he has never had a problem and that is the idea behind these jigs is that you can use lighter line as they offer a smaller profile and the standard wire hook penetrates without a ton of pressure, and so I was wondering what you are using this jig for.

You could place the heavier Guage hook in the mold one cavity at a time and firmly strike the mold with a hammer.

I've done this with two molds and have had no issues with the quality of the bait or damaging the mold.

The key is to strike the mold directly over the cavity.

Edited by patrick reif

I guess it depends on how gnarly the cover is, and the size of the fish.  That hook is not a heavy gauge flipping hook, so it would be easier for a decent fish to open it if it's buried in heavy stuff, or if you hit it really hard with heavy braid.

If you're pitching and flipping to cracks in rocky structure, with open water, it would probably work, but you would have to tone down your hook set.

smalljaw,

I haven't purchased the hooks, or supplies yet. Im ordering today. I was just afraid that the Mustad 32798BLN would be too light of a wire hook for fishing it on a MH rod pitching and flipping to cover.

The 32798 is a standard wire hook, not light wire and in the 4/0 and 5/0 sizes it gets pretty stout so as long as you are using a heavy power rod with 50lb braid you should be ok. On my smaller jigs 1/8oz and 3/16oz jigs in that style I will use a spinning rod with 8lb line and throw them around laydowns and  sparse cover, when I hit 1/4oz I go to casting gear. Now on the 5/16 to 7/16oz I use a MH casting rod with 12lb to 16lb line and never had a problem but the cover isn't too heavy, mostly brush, laydowns, and boat docks, that is where the finesse style jig shines, it is also a good jig to drag over shallow rock flats and bare banks. What I'm trying to say is that I've fished this jig hard in a bunch of different sizes and I haven't bent or even flexed a hook but I told you my line choice, go to much you can bend it, heck, I know of guys that had flipping hooks bend but as long as you have the MH rod you should be fine with the 32798.