robalo01

Bucktail Source?

That can mean a lot of different things to different people, do you want the best quality or the best price? I get mine from Crazy Angler dot com, they have a good color selection and the hair is soft with a great price. They sell both medium and large bucktail and the quality far exceeds the price.

If you guys are talking about "Grandpa Bobs Custom Jigs" then you'll soon understand why I didn't recommend them. I spoke with Bob on a few different occasions, nobody will beat his prices on anything but, and this but is big, the service is atrocious. Check your order status, if after 3 days it still says "processing" , well you may get it in 2 weeks or like my last order, 7 weeks. I use to get stuff from him all the time but it just got to be too much hassle, if you have other material and don't mind waiting over a month then you'll be ok, believe me, he has lost a lot of customers because he doesn't answer emails and if your stuff is on backorder, well you will just have to wait and bucktails are the longest thing for him to get in, he told me that himself as I called when my order was out for over 2 weeks. Crazy angler dot com has good pricing, good quality tails and the service is awesome, order on one day and it will be shipped within 24 hours or less unless it is the weekend but it will go out Monday. Trust me, I use to love Grandpa Bob myself but he isn't reliable to use as a supplier.   http://stores.crazyanglertackle.com/

Edited by smalljaw

My order was shipped in two days.  That's plenty quick for me.

You got lucky that he had them in stock, believe me, I got bucktails and thread off of him for quite some time, there isn't anyone who can beat his price. I would have no problem if he would let you know your product is on back order but he doesn't communicate at all. I'm glad you got your stuff but the next time you order don't be surprised if you have to wait 6 or 7 weeks, it happened to me on 3 straight orders and that is when I quit using him for anything, I pay a few cents more for peace of mind.

If you have a guy that takes pelts from trappers and deer hides, ask him what he charges and dye your own. I get huge tails, some where the white usable hair is 7". I pay $.90 a tail, de-boned, washed  and only air dried.  I keep them in the freezer until needed. I went through just shy of 500 this year, and hate the thought of having to buy them somewhere else if something happens to him.

I skin and debone mine then put salt on skin side hang until stop dripping then take about a pound of alum dissolved in water in a five gallon pail, put the tails in make sure they are completely submerged stiring daily for 10 days then I take and rinse in cold clean water then whip (snap) the water out of them,hang them to dry.They don't smell when your done.

Edited by gaspumper