jbdesigns

Clear Coat Spoons

Depends on what clearcoat you use and its viscosity.  I don't recommend epoxy for spoons because the sharp edges of a spoon will shed epoxy very quickly.  When I dip clearcoat spoons I use Dick Nite MCU, which is designed specifically for that application.  If a hole gets filled, I simply zip it out with a small drill bit and my Dremel tool.

Hey guys, thinking of painting some spoons, but i am curious on how to do the clearcoat without the clear filling the holes.

does anyone have any advice or experience doing so.

thanks in advance

I did a video series on the subject a while ago , ........here are the two parts , that might be of interest to you :

Sorry for the misleading title of the videos , English is not my first language , and I've just a wrong term :( .

If you look closely at the spoons in the  second linked video , you will see , that the epoxy clearcoat tents to set more around the rim of the spoons to bulge up a little there , even though I've utilized fast curing epoxy with a processing time of about 20 minutes.

Probably a rotisserie might help , ......but in spite of that little flaw these spoons do perform very nice , got them in my tackle bag right now .

Greetz , diemai :yay:

does anyone her airbrush spoons or do you powder paint them?

i'm looking at basically reproducing something along these lines

$(KGrHqIOKosFG8kPDcbjBR)3KlymOQ~~60_57.J

I've painted a couple.  I used transparent paints and let the chrome show through.  I was doing gizzard shad patterns.  You could use an opaque base coat to cover up the shine if you wanted to only see the paint.

I've painted a couple.  I used transparent paints and let the chrome show through.  I was doing gizzard shad patterns.  You could use an opaque base coat to cover up the shine if you wanted to only see the paint.

on some spoons i'd like it to be opaque but on alot i'd like the gold/brass/nickle to shine through, using transparent paints.

HawgFan, where do you get your spoons from?

Great and fun videos, Metal Meister!!!  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:

On the more shallow spoons with the eyes that you said were restricted too much by the feathered tail, would adding a second split ring at the feathered treble allow the spoon more freedom of movement and increased action?

How about a swivel?

Thanks a bunch  , Mark :worship: , 

.......any attachement to a casting spoon , may it be a bucktail , a feathered treble , a plastic grub , a rubber skirt , a piece of cord or another spoon or spinner blade does work like some kinda brake parachute , meaning that it would provide a certain grade of drag to the spoon , slowing down it's wobble significantly .

So in reverse , .....a spoon supposed to carry any of previously mentioned attachements , has to be designed in a way , that the bare blank would come up with a very strong wobble right from the start , ....maybe even overturning or spinning , ......so that when the attachement would be rigged , a sufficient grade of the built-in wobble would be left to the spoon , in spite of the drag of the attachement .

I guess , that basically you are right with your idea of a second splitring or even a swivel between dressed hook and spoon , but I reckon , that any improvement would be hardly visible , as the distance inbetween spoon and dressed hook would be too short .

Probably if switching one foot of monofilament beween dressed treble and spoon , the spoon would have a chance to wobble more , but for obvious reason this would not be practical :lol:

I rig two splitrings to these spoons to hold the feathered trebles , but not because of the wobble , but for a more lively action of the feathers , when lure is fished in a retrieve-and-pause pattern .

One more thing I've found out meanwhile , is that those feathers slow down the sink rate of the spoons quite a bit , so in particular those narrow ones , that do not wiggle that much(they still do , but a bit more subtle compared to the wider spoons) on a straight retrieve , can be retrieved in a jerking manner , causing them to break out sideward randomly and same time sporting a great action of the feathered tail , ...also maintaining depth quite well this way .

Greetz ,  Dieter :yay:

I should have known you'd already tried or thought of everything I thought of.

Good luck with your toothy critters.

Thanks , Mark , they are just too reluctant these days , weather is weird , ....summer does not seem to want to leave for fall .

Just yesterday my wife tossed in a stocker rainbow trout , when an approx. 28" pike attacked that hooked trout , ...but for the heck , they just don't bite lures !

Still some more spoon experiments to be accomplished , though , ....don't like the action of the bare "Hofschneider Red Eye Wigglers" , as they are always turning on their backs , ........a 5" grub attached to a bigger muskie version slowed downtzhe wiggle too much , but trebles dressed with feathers seem to deliver good results .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

sorry to hijack my own thread,

but has anyone ordered from fishindaystore.com?

here is what i am after at a really good price, http://fishindaystore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_60&product_id=240

I'm from the south, and admittedly NOT the authority on spoons.  I do know this.  You need to consider your application.  Some trolling spoons are thin and light.  If that's your intended use, I would imagine they'd be fine.  If you're wanting to use them for jigging/flutter spoons, they may be a bit light.  I bought some of a similar size and shape, but they weighed .75oz.  Just something to think about.  These could be great for either use. It would be nice if you could buy a smaller quantity to test.  Hopefully the vendor has enough experience with their products to give you good advice.

I'm from the south, and admittedly NOT the authority on spoons.  I do know this.  You need to consider your application.  Some trolling spoons are thin and light.  If that's your intended use, I would imagine they'd be fine.  If you're wanting to use them for jigging/flutter spoons, they may be a bit light.  I bought some of a similar size and shape, but they weighed .75oz.  Just something to think about.  These could be great for either use. It would be nice if you could buy a smaller quantity to test.  Hopefully the vendor has enough experience with their products to give you good advice.

im basically using these as salmon spoons trolling with downriggers.

i've also gotta find some big lucky strike canoe spoons and some provisers... anyone have any ideas about where to get some replicas for them ??