kalninm

Jig Paint

I've been using CS Coatings Vinyl Lure and Jig Finish.  It has given me some good results so far, after some bad first experiences that is.  It holds up relatively well, about on par with power coat jigs and chatterbaits i've used.  However I'm curious what do all of you recommend for Jigs if I don't want to use powder coat? Just looking for some alternatives, also I've been dipping my heads which is kind of an issue with Spinnerbaits so how do you guys paint you spinnerbaits since I can't dip mine.

Thanks

If you're using vinyl you pretty much have to brush it on a spinnerbait or thin it and spray it. If you don't want to powder coat then your options are to use vinyl or air brush paint but anything other than vinyl or powder will require you to put a top coat on like a strong epoxy or lacquer .

I like the vinyl and I'm doing some new things (new to me) with it now to add some effects and such.  however I am considering switching to powder coat...

Right now i brush it on my spinnerbaits though,

I like the vinyl because it doesn't chip.  The way i fish my jigs powder coat always chips on me and I feel like the vinyl lasts longer, however my chatterbaits get abused and I'm thinking powder coat may be a good option to switch to, it seems like everyone else uses it....

Lots of decisions to make i guess lol

I like the vinyl and I'm doing some new things (new to me) with it now to add some effects and such.  however I am considering switching to powder coat...

Right now i brush it on my spinnerbaits though,

I like the vinyl because it doesn't chip.  The way i fish my jigs powder coat always chips on me and I feel like the vinyl lasts longer, however my chatterbaits get abused and I'm thinking powder coat may be a good option to switch to, it seems like everyone else uses it....

Lots of decisions to make i guess lol

Powder doesn't require a base coat, single coat and done plus no fumes. I don't know about you but vinyl gave me massive headaches and powder coat eliminated that plus if you cure it by baking in an oven, it gets rock hard and becomes very chip resistant.

X2 on the Powder Coat when properly cured is almost bullet proof,  I fish a lot of very rocky areas and have not had PC chip even when drug through the snags,

I occasionally will airbrush jigs using various acrylics then simply epoxy coat and leave on jig turner overnight.

X3 on powder paint. For my spinnerbaits (because of the wire arms) I heat the head with a heat gun, hold it over a paper plate and use the "tap" method of painting it with a brush.

:?

DUH!  I never thought of that.

Ya learn something every day.

I always held off on getting any spinnerbait or buzzbait molds because of the painting issues.  Time to hit eBay and see what I can find for cheap.

X3 on powder paint. For my spinnerbaits (because of the wire arms) I heat the head with a heat gun, hold it over a paper plate and use the "tap" method of painting it with a brush.

so you tap the powder coat on with a paint brush?

Also, are there any downsides to using a powder coat base and the using a vinyl clear coat to add some glittle or flake to it?

Ive been wanting to powdercoat some lead jig heads, im wanting to make my fluid bed and try powder coating, Is it possible to re paint jigs after they have already been painted? If so How would u go about it?

If the original finish is a powder coat or an airbrush, yes. If it is a vinyl paint like mentioned above or has an epoxy coat no. You can strip all of the finish off, however that may not be worth the cost of the jigs. If time is not an issue and you want to learn to powder paint . Strip the jig with paint stripper, make sure it's dry and re-paint.

Edited by cadman