MuskyGary

Adjusting Paint Flow In A Airbrush

I have a iwana eclipse HP-BS airbrush which I tore apart and gave a good cleaning. Now I'm having a hard time getting it adjusted to spray the paint. Im thinking I may have got the needle to far in. If I back the needle out a bit that should let more paint through? One  thing I found out- if you increase the air pressure and get the airbrush to close to the lure, it will blow the paint off the lure! LOL Any advice you guys could give me? Also some paint colors won't flow very well unless you add reducer and sometimes it's watered down to much. I usually use Createx at about  15 to 20 pounds of pressure. I also have some Wicked colors that I'm trying to use.

Edited by MuskyGary

What size needle/nozzle are you setup with? Not sure I understand when you say you have the needle too far in, do you mean you may have pushed it in too far and have damaged the nozzle? You should push the needle lightly until it stops and then snug up the lock nut. It sounds to me like you still have some gunk causing your issue what are you cleaning with? Get yourself some ab restorer and soak the nozzle and aircap the pick out any mung with a wooden tooth pick carefully and you should be good.

I have the same air brush.

I think the adjustment nut on the back determines how far back you can pull the needle to allow more paint through the brush.

If it won't spray now, you may have forced the needle in too far, and opened the nozzle.  I did that, and my brush worked poorly after that, until I replaced both the needle and the tip.

I thin my paint until it's like skim milk, and do multiple coats.

For base coating with Wicked Air paints, I use a Badger siphon brush, which has a bigger nozzle, .05.

I find the Wicked Air paints dry faster and better than the Createx, so I can spray a heavier coat and still not trap moisture.

You must have the pre-set handle what that does is limit how far the needle pulls back so you can have the same consistant control every time you pull the trigger back but your needle should be snug in the nozzle and lightly tighten the chucking nut if all is good it should spray right, I have both the .35mm and .5mm so I'm not much help with the reduction but I will tell ya that I use the .5mm for regular createx and the .35mm for wicked and auto air regular createx seems to have a larger size to the pigment so the smaller the needle the more difficult it will be to spray as a rule try to match your brush to the paint line and/or type i.e. pearls are a bit larger and transparents are thinner it will go a long way in making your life easier. I also don't use water or home brew reducer only the reducer made for the paint line that also will give you the best results in my opinion water only breaks down the film strength of the paint.

AB lineup

Check this site out pretty good stuff:
Edited by Gon2long
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'll keep working at it. I know a lot of guys will put reducer in createx  when they first open the bottle. I always try to shoot it the way it comes and if it's to thick ; it means I have to stop and clean out the airbrush. Tends to aggravate me!!

Edited by MuskyGary